My New Coop! 3/14 Today's progress pic on post #356

I had assumed that you meant-outside access, not really outside nesting boxes, might want to rethink that one, Jared.
wink.png

Man, that roof is looking awesome. this is going to be absolutely beautiful when you are done.

Well it should be easy to work out the nest boxes. I am putting my quail pen inside the new coop and I will have a board to catch the quail droppings. I can put the nest boxes under that with an outside access and still have almost all the room I had before. I'll post pics later.

No progress today. I decided to take Sunday off. If my assumptions are correct, I should have this week to finish up my projects around here before I go back to work. No definite time yet to return but I expect the call very soon. It's my driving force right now to get all of these things wrapped up. The next two important things I gotta do are get the roof shingled and get the door installed (which will actually involve removing my old back door and installing it in the coop and installing the new back door). Now that I have a good start on the shingles, I'm feeling better about things.

Here are some pics of a side project I'm doing within the new coop. I'm going to house my quail in the coop. I got the pen from someone off of Craigslist who was giving away a rabbit hutch. I cut down the sides and removed most of the wire. The top to this pen will be sloped to help prevent chickens from roosting on it. It will be made of hardware cloth and 1x2's. The bottom will have a droppings board that will keep the quail from fouling up the bedding in the coop. I am considering putting the chicken nest boxes under the quail pen and having them accessible from the outside.

5570_dsci0770.jpg

5570_dsci0771.jpg

Let me bend your ear, Jared, from experience. If you plan to remove the eggs from outside...how far down will you have to bend to get them? I have one row of nesting boxes on the floor level in our coop and I can tell you I hate bending down to tend to those. My dh used the five gal. bucket nesting boxes and put them above the floor ones and my hens only use the buckets now and I love not having to bend down to get eggs or clean it out. Just a suggestion from experience. If you don't use it ..it will not offend me in the least. Your coop is great.

Quote:
I have thought about it and there are two things going for me there: One is that they will begin about 2 feet off the ground by the time I add the height of the box on the outside and because of the coop being raised up on that side to be level. Also, my goal in putting an outside access is so that my little boys can collect eggs without dealing with the birds unsupervised. I will get it laid out and see how it will look long term, but I appreciate the advise.

One is that they will begin about 2 feet off the ground by the time I add the height of the box on the outside and because of the coop being raised up on that side to be level.

yes, I see now. I was thinking how back-breaking that would be if they were directly at ground level. that should work fine.​

Back
Top Bottom