My new LGD

Glenmar

Songster
9 Years
Jan 17, 2011
VIRGINIA
77123_puppy.jpg

The breeder said that I can't play with her or make a pet out of her, but it was really hard to leave her in the barn last night.

Any tips you guys have on training LGD would be helpful. This is my first one. She is 6 weeks old.

persoanly i like my lgds to be ME friendly so i WOULD play and pay attention to them for a little bit each day.

the idea of completly dissasiciating wiht your lgd is supposedly so they dont bond wiht you but rely on their livestock for companionship...
but they are puppies and will eventually be incredibly LARGE dogs, and having one that has no resepct or bond with its human handlers to me seems to be asking for trouble.

definatly let her live with the livestock and dont coddle her, but id also be doing basic training with her as well, she needs to know how to offer a paw for checking for splinters and nail clipping, should allow you to check thier ears and teeth ect. they should respect you when you tell them "enough" ect.

Locking a 6 week old puppy in a barn by itself is cruel and will cause issues later. First off she's too young to be taken from her mother. A good breeder would have kept her til at LEAST 8 weeks. But now you have this puppy and she needs to be socialized not locked in a barn. And it's a good idea to familiarize the puppy with the house inside and out, provide a safe place for her such a a kennel inside and out as well as begin teaching house breaking. The reason for this is that your dog needs to be as comfortable indoors as it is outdoors as you never know what the future will bring. You also need to establish pack dominance and you can't do that if the dog is locked in the barn during the learning phase. Puppy training can begin now in teaching manners and and routines and any bad behavior can be caught early. If she's in the barn chewing on things you can't catch her and stop her from doing it. At night you can kennel her with lambs or non agressive sheep to build the bond and leave her for longer periods during the day if you aren't at home but I wouldn't just lock her in the barn at this age. Besides honestly some dogs are raised as pets and do great with sheep and guarding and some are raised as strict guard dogs and and suck at it. It's all in the instict she's born with.

I have been playing with her. I was not sure if I should. The breeder said that the is too young to be left with the goats. I will do supervised visits soon.
I agree that 6 weeks is young, but that is when they wanted her gone.
sad.png
I have raised lots of show dog puppies, but this is my first LGD. I want to make her a good
balanced dog. I would like her socialized with people, but wanting to be with the goats. The breeder said that if I played with her too much, she would bond with me and not want to stay with the goats.
barnie.gif
Everyone seems to have different advise.

Quote:
I understand where the breeder is coming from but you also don't want a people aggressive dog. I would get her used to getting her paws touched (to make nail trimming easier) and pat her everytime you go in the barn. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it, just let her get used to being touched when needed. I just feel a little bad when I hear about a 6 week old pup along in a barn but I guess it has to be done since she is a LGD.

Quote:
She's a couple of weeks too young to leave her mother too, but that can't be changed now

Maybe this will help:

http://www.bountifulfarm.com/lgd_seminar.htm

Thanks. I had printed that one. I agree about being too young to leave the litter. but each breeder does things differenty.
Honestly the price was right, so that is why I went with that breeder.

I was also told not to play with mine...but I couldn't help it.
tongue.png

That being said, we have played with him, introduced him only to the people who visit regularly and the people who "babysit" when we're out of town. No one else. He has also been housed in a kennel between my two goat pens and next to the chickens. He has been allowed to play with the other dogs we have. And he knows "his" cats.

The day I brought him home at 9 weeks, I started his obedience training and what I call "touch" training...playing with his feet, ears, tail, mouth and teeth and brushing his coat.

I take him with me into the goat pens at feeding time. Being a puppy he loves to chase them, but let one of them turn and stop, he stops and goes the other way.
lol.png

And for all his socializing, even at 6 months old, if any other animal or person comes in this yard he goes ballistic! Absolutely won't stand for any type of trespassers!

Here he is at 4 months old.
Gideon4mos.jpg

Back
Top Bottom