Charlenesmom

Songster
Dec 26, 2018
Western MA
Charlene’s mom here.
I first posted in December and wrote about my sweet, stray RIR Charlene.
She did great in our attached garage all winter, getting spoiled rotten.
I have decided to take the plunge and get her a few girlfriends. The first week of April we will be adding two Buff Orpington’s and one Silver Laced Wyandotte.
I am hoping that they will all become one happy flock
I’m a bit worried that the new three will bond during their quarantine and not bond with Charlene when they are all introduced to our new 12x8 run and coop. The run will be brand new for all of them at the same time as Charlene will not be introduced to it until the newbies are. I’m hoping that making it a brand new territory for all four that the hissy fits will be minimal. I chose these new girls for their sweet dispositions hoping that there won’t be many feathers flying. Thank you for all of your support and encouragement on this new and very exciting journey.

I think everything will go well when all are placed into new housing at same time.
I am going to say something that may razzle some peeps' feathers, and possibly right, but here are my views.:caf
I only keep chickens as pets, and small numbers. I have added new chickens to my flock for the past 20+ years. I never quarantined any of my additions. Maybe you can say I like living on the EDGE.
I would quarantine if I had a large flock, and my livelihood or food depended on it. :old
You must also be aware of true QUARANTINE. The distance between the 2 groups needs to be significant. You would also need to maintain a separate set of clothing, and not cross contaminate the clothes when going to service each group. It can get complex. You going to one group, and then to other group right afterwards, transfers pathogens from one to the next. Research it further if you have doubts. :hmm
You adding 3 chickens to your one, I don't see such a real need to quarantine. What is the source of your new chickens? Do you know of those chickens to have questionable health concerns? All living things can carry some infection, that may, or may not be very dangerous. Your current Chicken may have something that she may pass onto the 3 newcomers.:idunno No amount of quarantine can prevent that.
WISHING YOU BEST.............................. :welcome

They are coming from a hatchery in Ohio, via My Pet Chicken. The had great reviews for healthy chicks, pullets and their web site is very comprehensive and detailed.
They seemed to be a very good place. The had a great guarantee and they seem to reLly care about the animals.

That is GREAT,,,,,,, I thought that you were getting those 3 chickens from a person near you, with unknown conditions. Hatcheries do need to keep high standards as to chickens' health. Otherwise they are out of business quite fast. My Pet Chicken has a good reputation, and they use different suppliers in different areas to best suit their customer needs. Of course mishaps can happen anywhere, EXCEPT IN THE PERFECT UNIVERSE. We are not in one such.:)
When you get your honeys:love make sure that your hen accepts them. Watch so she does not try to peck any of them (in a mean way). If needed, keep them separated with some netting, or chicken wire so they get accustomed to seeing each other.
I have a mixed flock of hens, and there was always a little testing when I introduced newcomers. In very short time, all resorted to live in HARMONY. :clap

That is GREAT,,,,,,, I thought that you were getting those 3 chickens from a person near you, with unknown conditions. Hatcheries do need to keep high standards as to chickens' health. Otherwise they are out of business quite fast. My Pet Chicken has a good reputation, and they use different suppliers in different areas to best suit their customer needs. Of course mishaps can happen anywhere, EXCEPT IN THE PERFECT UNIVERSE. We are not in one such.:)
When you get your honeys:love make sure that your hen accepts them. Watch so she does not try to peck any of them (in a mean way). If needed, keep them separated with some netting, or chicken wire so they get accustomed to seeing each other.
I have a mixed flock of hens, and there was always a little testing when I introduced newcomers. In very short time, all resorted to live in HARMONY. :clap

I will need to keep them separate for a few weeks and plan on slowly introducing her to them. I’m a stay at home chicken mom so I will be able to keep a close eye. I’m sure Charlene will be jealous, she’s had me all to herself for so long. I will also make sure there are several feeders so she doesn’t think they’re stealing her food. I’m learning to be a chicken psychologist lol

I was looking at getting them from a farm in Vermont but my contact was spotty about information and I wouldn’t necessarily get the breeds I wanted. I’m happy with the my pet chicken site and their responses.

Back
Top Bottom