My pallet coops and ideas needed for play cube coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Elmochook, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Elmochook

Elmochook Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2017
    Central/east TX
    **pic heavy lol sorry**
    I love pallets! They are awesome, you can do so much with them and they are like grown up Legos. The 1st pic is my most recent coop built entirely of pallets and scrap wood. The fence is tied together in a lot of places for ease of removing and reconfiguring. Im working on getting dlm into action in their coop as they are still too young to be out in my area unsupervised.
    The first coop is the adult hen house it has a 3 spot nesting coop and since i only have 3 hens in there that actually seems like over kill. The pen around that coop is an old at&t server cabinet fence my brother scored for me on a job.
    Now the reason im expanding is im getting 10 more new babies this week as early christmas! Eeekkk... So i want to make the play cube into the coopbut i don't want to destroy it or really even change the look of it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...
    Mostly i just wanna show off my coops to people who will appreciate. LMAO

Attached Files:

BYCforlife likes this.
  2. Squeak61

Squeak61 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2017
    Connecticut
    Super creative coop! Great idea with the pallets :D The play house is usually fairly simple to convert. If you look it up, a bunch of blogs will come up with great ideas! My only advice is make sure there aren’t a lot of drafts. Good luck!

3. Elmochook

Nov 21, 2017
    Central/east TX
    The drafts in my original coops really dont concern me because most of my neighbors chickens roost in trees?? Lol i live in tx so we have very mild winters i guess.

4. Elmochook

Nov 21, 2017
    Central/east TX
    But drafts in the cube do concern me... I guess i may go buy some plastic plates to screw on the circles but idk anout the bigger windows.

5. Elmochook

Nov 21, 2017
    Central/east TX
    I scrapped the play cube because it was just way too small... So i went pallets again lol. Not finished yet obviously but im liking its progress

Attached Files:

6. Elmochook

Nov 21, 2017
    Central/east TX
    Oops haven't posted updates here in a while (lost the post lol) but the rainbow flock have been outside a while now and i made some improvements on the coop since it has been in use. I traded out the metal ladder for more natural wood roosts and took off the wall on the right and added hinges for easier cleaning. I used an old window as their "door" and they are well trained now to go in when its dark or rainy. :) i shielded the top with feed sacks to keep rain out.

It still needs a proper roof but im using salvaged wood thats been working nicely.

Im pretty proud of my little salvaged project. <3

Attached Files:

jthornton likes this.
  7. Elmochook

Nov 21, 2017
    Central/east TX
    Here they are "bathing" while i was working today.

8. Elmochook

Nov 21, 2017
    Central/east TX
    :) they are almost 3 months old now

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by