My parakeet talks !!????

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by feather and mountain man, Mar 30, 2011.

1. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    Well I accedently taught my son's parakeet Chopper to talk. I talk to it you see and I always say the same things to it.

Pretty bird

Chop Chop Pretty Bird

Chipper Chipper Chop Chop

Hello Chop Chop

So now all day long I hear

This

Chop Chop
    Pretty Bird
    Hello Chipper Chipper Chop Chop
    Pretty Bird
    [​IMG]

I didn't know they could talk to start with and now he won't stop talking. All day long! [​IMG]

2. court1100f

court1100f Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    LOL!!!!!! @Chopper thats funny & Cute. but yeah they can talk up a storm but I've never seen one out of the dozens and dozens of parakeets we've had over the years that talked but look up talking parakeet on youtube sure you'll find plenty lol

3. feather and mountain man

Jan 17, 2010
    She is really a very sweet bird to talk to and look at but I can't hold her cause she bites. So I don't mess with her that way and don't care too either. She loves her perch near the window. We had two and she never seemed very happy then. When the other one died she really seemed to pirk up. [​IMG]

4. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    unless shes laid eggs...dont be suprised if SHE is actually a he...
    male keets are much more likley to talk than females.

the record for words knows is held by an english budgie (parakeet) named puck! he knew 1728 words!

5. feather and mountain man

Jan 17, 2010
    We realized yesterday that one of the sounds that Chopper makes is his impression of our dogs barking! [​IMG]

6. Barbara Kolohe

Barbara Kolohe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    LOL! Just hope he doesn't like the sound of your phone. Our cockatiel does a fabulous phone ringing and also likes to knock on his wood perch simulating a door knock.

7. lvsilkies

lvsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    I used to have a parakeet and he had a vocabulary of about 80 words. He talked more than any of the parrots that I have now (african grey, senegal and a crimson bellied conure).

8. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    My moms parakeet says over 100 phrases.
    he knows all of our names and will follow whichever one he decides to say with "smells"
    Sadie go potty
    good morning sweetheart
    how are you
    sexy
    good boy
    hello
    and so many more things. And he mixes them all up too,
    so there are probably a thousand different versions of his phrases that he can say.
    He also picks things up off of the tv.
    She works with him every day to learn new things.
    He was my bird, but my husband threatened to let him outside because he thought that he was too noisy.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  9. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    Male parakeet's are excellent mimics, sound's like yours if off to a good start, keep teaching him and you'll be amazed at how quickly they can pick up a new word or phrase.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by