My peacock pecks at his mirror obsessively, is he being depressed? Non urgent.

doudini2

Songster
12 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Hello peafowl lovers,
I have a non urgent question: When Henri the peacock does not roam around the house or watch TV, he goes to his room and pecks at his mirror obsessively. Tak.tak tak tak tak....and so on. Like he is autistic...sometimes I call him and he comes, but usually he just looks up and then continues. I want him to be happy, and this worries me. Is it normal?
Thank you
doudini2

The guys here sometimes peck at their reflection in shiny car bumpers, and they have plenty of company and stimulation, so I don't think it's a sign of depression...but perhaps other peapeople have more info on this.

By the way, how is beautiful Henri? We haven't seen any new pictures of him for a while...

Last edited:
He thinks it is another peacock...

Just make sure he doesn't get agressive at the mirror. I read something about a peacock in a park and there was a sculpture that was a circular mirror in the park and the peacock would attack it so much he would start bleeding.

When Henri the peacock does not roam around the house or watch TV ...
is THAT "normal"!? lol

MY 1st thought was, take the mirror away!
but my second thought was, my chickens don't think it is another chicken, do they? does anyone know? i have been wondering this since they were chicks (when i first gave them a mirror). i read again about "the mirror test" but i don't really know how it applies to chickens & they don't seem to peck at the purple cadillac, just sort of admire themselves! (we do have house window damage from a psycho aggressive finch!)

my third thought, you peapeople REALLY make me want peafowl!!

Do you have just the one peacock? I just bought one but and being told I need another? Once he is big enough he will have chicken friends outside.
You are replying to a post from ten years ago and the OP hasn't been on here for a very long time. But to answer your question peas are very social birds and need the company of other birds, they are not particular of what kind.

Back
Top Bottom