My peacock pecks at his mirror obsessively, is he being depressed? Non urgent.

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by doudini2, Jan 22, 2013.

1. doudini2

doudini2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Hello peafowl lovers,
    I have a non urgent question: When Henri the peacock does not roam around the house or watch TV, he goes to his room and pecks at his mirror obsessively. Tak.tak tak tak tak....and so on. Like he is autistic...sometimes I call him and he comes, but usually he just looks up and then continues. I want him to be happy, and this worries me. Is it normal?
    Thank you
    doudini2

2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    The guys here sometimes peck at their reflection in shiny car bumpers, and they have plenty of company and stimulation, so I don't think it's a sign of depression...but perhaps other peapeople have more info on this.

By the way, how is beautiful Henri? We haven't seen any new pictures of him for a while...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  3. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    He thinks it is another peacock...

Just make sure he doesn't get agressive at the mirror. I read something about a peacock in a park and there was a sculpture that was a circular mirror in the park and the peacock would attack it so much he would start bleeding.

4. backyardcelia

backyardcelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2012
    When Henri the peacock does not roam around the house or watch TV ...
    is THAT "normal"!? lol

MY 1st thought was, take the mirror away!
    but my second thought was, my chickens don't think it is another chicken, do they? does anyone know? i have been wondering this since they were chicks (when i first gave them a mirror). i read again about "the mirror test" but i don't really know how it applies to chickens & they don't seem to peck at the purple cadillac, just sort of admire themselves! (we do have house window damage from a psycho aggressive finch!)

my third thought, you peapeople REALLY make me want peafowl!!

5. peacock 05

peacock 05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Stevens point wisconsin
    He probably sees his reflection and wants to protect his territory and hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by