My Pet Chicken will no longer deliver through LAX

Didn't realize it's ranging that far!!!

Altho Los Angeles County (a large geographic area) is quarantined, vND has still only been confirmed in a few small areas.

But we all have to take it VERY seriously and stop it wherever it occurs so our flocks can have a healthy future and we can have a stress-free one. I'm told the best measures to take are:
• hand washing before and after entering the coop or run
• a bleach bath for your shoes
• dedicated shoes for use in the coop and run
• hosing off your tires if you've driven to a chicken environment
• avoid contact with wild or neighboring birds by stopping free ranging and providing a cover for your run
• report any sick birds ASAP

The virus is spread by contact with fluids from infected birds. And vectors for vND now include wild birds

Last edited:
Didn't realize it's ranging that far!!!

Altho Los Angeles County (a large geographic area) is quarantined, vND has still only been confirmed in a few small areas.

But we all have to take it VERY seriously and stop it wherever it occurs so our flocks can have a healthy future and we can have a stress-free one. I'm told the best measures to take are:
• hand washing before and after entering the coop or run
• a bleach bath for your shoes
• dedicated shoes for use in the coop and run
• hosing off your tires if you've driven to a chicken environment
• avoid contact with wild or neighboring birds by stopping free ranging and providing a cover for your run
• report any sick birds ASAP

The virus is spread by contact with fluids from infected birds. And vectors for vND now include wild birds

All good policies. The other bits I can add are:

-Don't remove any birds from your property while this outbreak is going on. Do not take them to shows, do not risk giving the infection to other birds, or expose your birds to getting the virus. Treat them like they are a valuable asset (they are!). If you are getting hatching eggs, sterilize the eggs before setting with a hydrogen peroxide wash - I saw a good paper about using a 5% wash in chicken eggs that did not affect hatch-ability. I would hope that a major hatchery would alert you to the presence of a disease like newcastles if they had it. I can't comment on chicks from hatcheries that are presumed to be disease-free.
-Restrict who can handle and who has access to your birds. Put a lock on your run and coop if you need to. The fewer people handling the better. Sterilizing shoes is a good start. If you go to a fair or exhibition, or someone else's house who has a flock be sure you wash your clothes and yourself before contacting your birds. If you bring in used poultry equipment, sterilize it before it comes in contact with your flock.
-There is a vaccine for the disease, it isn't commonly used, and will make your birds test positive for the disease. If you choose to vaccinate, you need to document it with a veterinarian that you did the vaccination. The state won't believe you without it - kinda like rabies vaccination paperwork. It is a vaccine that wears off with time. In Europe I believe there is a yearly vaccination requirement for it.
-Avoiding contact with wild birds was already covered, but I want to stress this. Cover your runs, consider confinement if your birds free-range (at least consider confinement until this outbreak is over), and do things to prevent attracting wild birds - this can be as simple as making sure extra feed is picked up after, or making sure your water sources are more secure. Wild birds can harbor the disease, but it tend to be more unusual, and can be asymptomatic.
-Know the symptoms and signs. This thing is like measels on steroids for domestic birds, and has very particular symptoms. It will wipe out your flock lickety-split. Now would be a good time to refresh yourself on sending dead chickens in for necropsy, and how they need to be handled.
-If you have a suspect case... DO NOT TAKE IT TO A VET! You are exposing every other bird who visits the practice - that includes parrots and all kinds of other exotic birds. Call your vet, tell them, and they can point you to the right person to contact for testing.

Last edited:
I was wondering if the feed stores down there would be having chicks or not! :hmm

I live between LA and San Francisco and none of the feed stores or larger chains here are carrying chicks now. Some did earlier in the season, but I believe everyone is on precautionary lock down. My area is not quarantined, but we are all being quite cautious.

Back
Top Bottom