My Pet Chicken will no longer deliver through LAX

IamRainey

Crowing
Aug 22, 2017
Los Angeles (Woodland Hills); gardening zone 9B
I've had my order scheduled for next month cancelled by MPC because of vND. My guess is that other hatcheries will be following a similar blackout of SoCal deliveries.

My heart breaks for those who will have their flocks confiscated and killed. That isn't happening in my area at the NW end of the county yet. But I hope these aggressive measures will get the virus under control and next Spring will be a happier and healthier one!

Wait, what does vND and LAX stand for? What chicken virus is going on? Is it real serious? And is it appearing in flocks all over the U.S.A., or just California?
I've just had two adult silkies die for unknown reasons, and decided I probably don't want anymore after that. The one seemed healthy and happy and then one day, I discovered she'd just up and died (at the beginning of this month, and no, for sure a predator didn't kill her). The other one got attacked by a dog earlier last week, but seemed to be recovering so nicely and ate and drink plenty, too...I thought at that point she was going to recover for sure, and hadn't gotten seriously injured. Then during the night last night, she passed away, too. :( So her death could've been due to the attack (it could've been worse than I'd realized), or it could've been an unknown cause.. perhaps whatever killed the first silkie.

Either way, I'd like to know more about a virus going on. Is it killing thousands of poor chickens in factories?

Wait, what does vND and LAX stand for?
New Castle disease virus... and Los Angeles international airport.

I was wondering if the feed stores down there would be having chicks or not! :hmm

ETA: Sorry for your recent losses. :hugs

If you still have her body you can send for necropsy, let me know of you want links for that.

Thanks for clarifying it for me.

I do not know what my mom did with her body...it disturbs me to remove dead fish from my aquarium(s), but/so it's worse with the (bigger) animals you love (at least for me...I guess I don't have the heart or desire to keep their bodies a while longer to have a necropsy done on them). :-(

And, is it only going on in California or...?

Thanks for clarifying it for me.

I do not know what my mom did with her body...it disturbs me to remove dead fish from my aquarium(s), but/so it's worse with the (bigger) animals you love (at least for me...I guess I don't have the heart or desire to keep their bodies a while longer to have a necropsy done on them). :-(

And, is it only going on in California or...?

No. There is currently an outbreak in Utah as well that they connected to the California outbreak. This disease is no joke when it strikes.

http://www.ag.utah.gov/home/news/77...und-in-exhibition-poultry-in-utah-county.html

New Castle disease virus... and Los Angeles international airport.

Thanks ThracianHorse and EggSighted4Life for clearing that up. ...although CA authorities now refer to it as "virulent Newcastle Disease".

A feed store near me does have chicks but I wouldn't take a chance on any bird that didn't come from outside CA. It's just not a risk worth taking.

Back
Top Bottom