My Pet Chicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LlamaChick, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    I've seen that they offer 90% accuracy. I ordered 27 pullets and 2 (white rocks) turned out to be roosters. Not bad!

I like their website the best and the ordering is super easy. The customer service was good.

The prices are very comparable to other hatcheries and the shipping was reasonable. Shipping does cost more if you order less than 25 but they use special packaging to keep the chicks safe.

2. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:I thought they all offered EE's? You have to look under Americana/arucana because they mislabel them.

3. KristenF87

KristenF87 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2009
    Gainesville
    Thanks, pbjmaker, I didn't know that. I thought that was a totally different breed, I'm pretty new to all this [​IMG]

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    If you just want a few chicks, why not see if a local feed store or pet store sells them? You might even be able to get them to add the few particular breeds you want to their order, if they're not planning to order the ones you want. You should have the same chance of sexing error as you would ordering directly from a hatchery.

In my opinion, sexing chicks will never be 100% guaranteed, you should alway have a Plan B for any unwanted roos in your order, no matter where you buy them.

You could also get a few pals and split a minimum order of chicks. I've done that from McMurray & they've even marked the chicks from each person's order with a different color and put them on different sides of the shipping box, so we could tell each other's chicks apart.

Or just buy started chicks/young pullets from flock-keepers in your area. Put a Want To Buy post on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum. Put up a notice on the bulletin board at your local feed store. Visit the poultry tent at your county fair, look for exhibitors showing the kinds of chickens you want. Good luck with your search!

5. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I just emailed them about hatching egg prices and omg!They were unreal! well suffice it to say I couldn't afford what there selling, even if they are great chicks there prices are ridiculus!! 12 bucks for a rare breed egg! Thats alot of money for an egg you might not even get a chick out of.
    JMO Sandy

6. lrowe

lrowe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2009
    I purchased 15, day old, female, vaccinated, Barred Plymouth Rocks from My Pet Chicken last June. All turned out to be girls! Being my first time to raise chics, I had a lot of questions. Their cusotmer service was always quick to respond, more than helpful, and took their time to explain things to me. I would order from them again.

7. DoubleG

DoubleG Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Last year I ordered 2 Easter Egger females and 1 Silkie female. The silkie turned out to be a Roo but the EEs were females. They were all healthy and grew into very nice birds. I was just able to give away the Roo, although it took some work.

Try and figure out a plan to get rid of any Roos (if you get any) before you get your new chicks.

8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Bantams are VERY hard to sex so there will always be more of a chance that you have a roo when you wanted a hen.

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:for one egg? [​IMG] There is a hatchery in Oklahoma (can't think of the name and not home to look right now) that sells birds from show quality stock. Eggs are $18 a dozen.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  10. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:for one egg? [​IMG] There is a hatchery in Oklahoma (can't think of the name and not home to look right now) that sells birds from show quality stock. Eggs are $18 a dozen.

Oh, that's not so bad! I've seen a dozen+ eggs sold for over $40! I can't think of where, but I just remember thinking, "Wow, those MUST be golden eggs!" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by