1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Pet Chicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LlamaChick, Feb 18, 2009.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Yeah i guess it could be worse but Im not and can't pay that price![​IMG] Sandy
    also they said later in the year they will have cheaper eggs, sold buy the dozen, 6 and 3 quantities. Yep I was thinking the same thing (GOLDEN EGGS)!

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Oh....I meant that I think the $18 a dozen for eggs from show quality stock is an AWESOME price (and the shipping was really reasonable). [​IMG] $12 for one egg......not so much. [​IMG] I need to look up the name of that place. I am thinking of getting some La Fleche eggs from them to hatch for my hubby. I got him some adorable hatchery quality ones, but he would love for me to be able to show some. *SIGH* The things we do for men. [​IMG]

3. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Oh....I meant that I think the $18 a dozen for eggs from show quality stock is an AWESOME price (and the shipping was really reasonable). $12 for one egg......not so much

I agree I would gladly pay 18 bucks for a dozen eggs, show quality, or otherwise but not 12.00 bucks for one![​IMG] I guess i should have added that she said price per egg unless other wise noted, I DIDN'T see no notes. LOL Sandy​

4. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:I agree I would gladly pay 18 bucks for a dozen eggs, show quality, or otherwise but not 12.00 bucks for one![​IMG] I guess i should have added that she said price per egg unless other wise noted, I DIDN'T see no notes. LOL Sandy

Alright, FINALLY found it!!! [​IMG] They are called Superior Farms and located in Oklahoma. They seem to have a pretty nice selection, considering they deal with high quality birds. Here is a linky. [​IMG] http://www.superiorfarms.net/index.html

Oh
    , I wanted to add, if you order live chicks, the price per bird is HIGH. But the eggs are what are so amazingly affordable!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  5. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I have superior farms on my favorites list. I got it from a friend, she suggested them and I was going to order some dorkings and cochins from them but before I knew what hit me I had too many birds , and won't be able to get anymore until next spring (maybe) I have 19 in the brooder including the free males that Ideal sent plus, 11 more coming on the 25th plus some more coming in April and I just bought a dozen eggs from Bargain (SS)! Im so excited about those! and I got 30 BW quail in the incubator right now, they came free with the incubator I bought, Wow! I sure hope miss prissy still wants to sell me a bator cause Im gonna need it I think! LOL I must be crazy!
    Sandy

6. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:Ohhhh.....this hatching thing is a painful addiction!!! No 12 step program can come close to curing you, either!!!! LOL

7. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I was afraid of that! LOL
    [​IMG]

8. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    $12 an egg is for the Marans eggs. There are other varieties that are less money.

And they are working on putting price points on more eggs ordered.

Right now, it's more toward a pick and choose type of ordering. A person can order one of these, and one of those... They've got 33 breeds to choose from.

They're also offering started Silkie and Mille Fleur pairs. How cool is that?!!

9. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:WOW.....now the started pairs is something I could really get interested in!!!!

10. jeanniejayne

jeanniejayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    mid-Delaware
    I have been watching these posts for a few months, and just decided I would wait until I could find a respected local breeder to get my chicks from. I'm going to drive nearly 3 hours each way, but I think it will be worth it, in the long run.

I am getting a breed that can be sexed at birth, and since I am picking up am getting only four, and happy to pay teh same price as for shipped. I'll figure out something to keep them warm with. Maybe microwaved dry beans or corn wrapped in a a towel, for the trip home.

I realize maybe not everyone is within a drive from what they want, but you may be closer than you think, and I think it's worth it to look around online and in the papers, Craig's list, the local agricultural extension agent, etc.

JUst my
    $0.02!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by