my poor chicks

kelliepulido

Songster
11 Years
Mar 18, 2008
st.john's mi
2 hatched out last nite.But both have problems w/their feet/legs.The bigger one has a good leg but his right foot he can't open the toes their all perfectly formed they just don't seem to have control.the smaller guy can't even standwith his legs and is jusst laying there.What doooo you think?I am always the nurse I guess it is my fate till I die.

You can make braces for their legs to help them. The first one you can make a brace to open his toes out. The other kinda sounds like it could have splayed leg and they use bandaids on here to make a brace for them as well. If you do a search on here you can find tons of information. Good luck with them

If the toes are curled you can cut a piece of cardboard and flatten the toes out on it and tape them into place. After a week check the toes and they should stay in place. If not put the little cardboard boot back on.

I have never delt with spraddle leg. Do a search here and there are instructions for taping the legs into place with a band aid to help the chick stand. If he can get his legs under him in the proper position your chick has a chance.

Incorrect humidity has a huge effect on the growth of a chick and can cause many physical and nuerological problems. Sometimes when many problems and birth defects present you have no choice to but to cull. It is not good to let chicks linger and suffer until nature does the job for you.

Back
Top Bottom