My poor Garlik needs help

Mobilelyn

Songster
6 Years
May 17, 2014
My Silkie hen has been getting progressively worse over the past month or so. It started with her losing her crest & beard feathers. I thought her Roo was being too rough on her but I am not sure as nothing is growng in.
Now she is panting & sneezing. (Can't figure out how to upload video of her open mouth panting).
I have tetracycline to start her on tonight. She has been separated from the flock (with her Roo for company) most of the time because of the cold. She is kept in the garage whenever it hits 33 degrees.
Any guesses on what could cause feather loss like that & cold symptoms?

Hi, I whould try tylan injectable or baytril as that other antibiotic you want to use isint very strong or efective as for the feather loss cheak for mites and lice just to be safe. Don't keep your hen out in the garage instead bring her in the house because sick. Birds caint regulate there body temperature very well and that alone could complicate there. Recovery or kill them. Again the tetracyclin isint a good choice it not very powerfull and will only make matters worse, she needs something like baytril or tylan imediatly because she's open mouth breathing means she's in real trouble!

Last edited:
Hi again, yes the tylan should kick in and you will notice improvment within 3 days and if you don't then get baytril ingectable instead and it should treat just about anything really as its very powerfull stuff , I whouldnt eat her eggs ever again if she has to be treated with baytril though. Tell me is she the only one showing thease symptoms?, and what's your flock history? Remember to keep her in the house as a bird this sick caint deal with the cold and may get sicker or worse could die, keep me posted and I whould do the tylan for seven days.

She, and one other hen with simular cold symptoms are in the garage "infirmary" it's a constant 43 farenheight in there.

For the
Tylan, all I can get right now is the Tylan 200, everyone is out of the 50 & oral solutions. I am a little nervous as I read some negatives about injecting the 200.

Hi, what have you read? , sorry I'm not familiar with the 200 tylan, try contacting castrophy don't know if I've spelt that right her real name is Kathy and she's a very good person to talk to on BYC.

Back
Top Bottom