My Pullets are Troublemakers!

misslys15

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 9, 2014

My pullets are FEARLESS. Maybe this is normal; this is only my second batch of chicks. But my first three were not at all like this! They were chickens! The pullets love to perch as high as they can, and love when you put them up even higher. Here is one of them jumping off our coop at about 5 weeks old. This is my favorite picture of them.

Ever since they were babies, they've been pulling these kinds of shenanigans. I walked into my kitchen to find this one just hanging out. I ended up having to put a screen over their box whenever I wasn't in the room to make sure they didn't escape and get too cold without the heating lamp.

The first time we brought them outside to the coop, they ran straight for the perches.

But at night they'd return to their indoor shenanigans.

And we soon had to build a playground to keep them occupied...

Now that they're outside full time, they like to roam my whole yard, and catch up with my cat.

Really, they love that cat.

And they're always finding new places to climb. We had to lay out those wooden boards next to our fence so they wouldn't go exploring that way (my neighbors have two obnoxiously big dogs that like to come into our yard better than staying in their own, so we're afraid they'll snatch our girls).

But not to worry, the boards didn't slow them down.

They are constantly surprising us. A fox has been coming around our yard, and they don't care one bit. The only thing they're scared of is my hens (Two of them don't like the newcomers, one of them loves them but they're still scared of her). And they're always doing weird things.

For example, Baman (Batman) not only likes to take dust baths, but also sprawl out and roll around in dirt...

And Siesta LOVES to be held on her back. I'm not sure how my brother discovered it, but from the day we got her, she would stretch out her legs and fall right to sleep if held like this. At 8 weeks, she still does this, but I don't have a picture.

We didn't intend on getting so many or such lively chickens, but they sure are a fun group of troublemakers!
big_smile.png

Very nice pics! Yes, some chicks are so curious. Yours are adorable!

Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom