I'm glad I could help. She will start making lots of vocalizations probably. I would get some warm sterile water, (you could boil some and then let it cool) and mist the vein just a tiny bit to keep it moist. I would leave her in until this evening. I would check on her throughout the day, and then re-asses around 6:30-7:00 or so tonight. You can post back with how she is and we'll go from there. Fingers crossed she heals up really good!
Thank you, I’ll do this and make sure to update later!

Quick update... chick doing the same as previously I moved to a container in the incubator lined with kitchen towel as recommended straight away. The chick has poo’d and urinated yet it hasn’t eaten or drank (as still in incubator), it is also still lying down, I’m worried that it’s losing nutrients needed so should I supply it with food and water?

The chick can go a little longer without food and water. Right now it needs to rest and be kept warm. Did this chick hatch on it's own or did you assist? I would put it in a cup or bowl lined with a washcloth or towel back in the incubator.

Quick update... chick doing the same as previously I moved to a container in the incubator lined with kitchen towel as recommended straight away. The chick has poo’d and urinated yet it hasn’t eaten or drank (as still in incubator), it is also still lying down, I’m worried that it’s losing nutrients needed so should I supply it with food and water?
Good thing is that it’s eyes are opening more often, still not all the time but getting there, I’ve lowered the lighting in the room too

Sounds good. Chicks can go 3 days without food or water. They live off the nutrients of the yolk. Quail can go 2 days. Don't give it any food until you give it water. It's too unstable to eat and drink yet. Just leave it in there. I would not offer food or water until tomorrow. It won't starve.

You can snip that little string that is connected to the shell if it's still stuck to the shell.

Has this little one's yolk absorbed? Did you see a yolk sac still attached when it hatched?

The chick can go a little longer without food and water. Right now it needs to rest and be kept warm. Did this chick hatch on it's own or did you assist? I would put it in a cup or bowl lined with a washcloth or towel back in the incubator.
I assisted, I have done it successfully many times before and it was in the incubator struggling to hatch for over 24 hours, now in thinking I jumped in too early, just couldn’t wait any longer as I saw 24 was the amount of time you should wait :( I have put it in a bowl lined with kitchen towel in the incubator

Sounds good. Chicks can go 3 days without food or water. They live off the nutrients of the yolk. Quail can go 2 days. Don't give it any food until you give it water. It's too unstable to eat and drink yet. Just leave it in there. I would not offer food or water until tomorrow. It won't starve.
Okay thanks good to hear, thank you

You can snip that little string that is connected to the shell if it's still stuck to the shell.

Has this little one's yolk absorbed? Did you see a yolk sac still attached when it hatched?
It is, I’ll look into that now. Not that I saw no, I’m pretty sure the yolk sac is all absorbed

Back
Top Bottom