MY Rescue Dogs- Pit mixes??

6chickens in St. Charles :

They are so lucky they found you! They are beautiful!

2 things I know about Pitts:

there's a form of epilepsy which could result in SEVERE harm to you and your loved ones, especially if moving things (bike tires, running animals) result in the dogs running and snapping its jaws. I am a nurse who worked on Neuro/Trauma/ENT, we had a few patients every year who's jaw was removed by a dog "who never bit anyone before", usuallly a pitbull. Its devastating for the family and for the dog, who usually has to be put down and checked for rabies, and the long term care needed for the patient (think nursing home) But if these dogs tend to chase cars or bikes, its just that "blindly chasing and killing" thing they do if they're prone to it. A pitbull who's prone to attacking will grab you and violently shake your body parts off, and the other dogs will join in, often biting and tearing each other in the process. Remember what they were bred for? One pitbull breeder visiting one such patient was overheard saying "he just snapped. It was a good snap in the wrong place, thats all. Thats what he's made for, to take you apart..."

A puppy full of worms will be calm, drowsy, easygoing.

If you're new to pitbulls, please find out as much as you can if you're keeping them. The animal shelters are full of pitbulls. I'd hate to think of you far away from help if the dogs accidentally "do their thing" and you're all alone. Attacking is their thing, they are bred for it. Ooooh, if I had a nickel for each time I heard, "the dog was a family member, we raised our kids on him, he wouldn't hurt a fly" or "he was well trained". It must be very hard to understand the attack-dog's attack when it happens. If its a form of epilepsy, there's no way to know when it will happen, or what will set it off. That behavior is bred into the pitbull breed.

I just had to put that side of the reality of pitbulls out there, because we chicken people have to watch out for each other! What I'm really hopeful about, is that the dogs are a perfect match for your life and family, and everyone is blessed and loved! Hurry and figure out the safest way to live with pitbulls! Those two are really beautiful dogs!

I see the point here...but...this can be said for almost any large breed. I really hate when people give out harmful information about a breed that has been used and abused by PEOPLE. Every dog has the potential to cause damage to ourselves and other animals.

I have had pitbulls my entire life (36yrs) and I am also an RN. I've seen more small dog bites then large dog bites. Granted larger dogs can do more damage, but in EVERY case I have come across it was due to an aggrivated action on the part of the person being bitten.

That being said....and I am sorry if anyone takes offense....

Give them both a chance to enrich your life. They both look like beautiful pitbulls.​

In the 3 years I worked at the shelter,I got bit 3 times by dogs.One bite was from a terrified Pyrenese puppy,the other two bites were by older Chihuahuas. Most dogs that came in were apt to bite because they were scared. I was labeled the "dog whisperer" by my co-workers,because I would usually be in the "vicious dog" pen within two days. Just show them you care!(Bacon also helps to become friends). I've been bitten by more cats than you can shake a stick at! I also have 'Possum" the one-eyed wiener dog from the shelter.She was DEEMED vicious, because she would show her teeth at people. Two years later, she still "smiles"at me.WHAT A SWEETIE!!

They both are 99% for sure pure . I know because we keep them as well
smile.png

Pitbulls are not always the beasts they are made out to be... well... my bug is a beast alright. She flops down and pancakes on the bed and WONT MOVE.

A few precautions i'd take- if you decide to keep them- watch for signs of agression- if a fight erupts and you are safely able to remove a dog put them behind a door or outside if the yard is secure. once a pit bull and another dog SERIOUSLY get into it... they most likely will be foes for life. If you think that one has any dog agression google crate and rotate and you'll see what you'll have to do to live with him/her. if you chose to rehome a dog agressive p.b then you need to disclose it. Lots of us are more than willing to keep dogs that are D.A. I have one dog that can not interact with the others and lives a secluded life ....she gets love and cuddles and 'family time' , just not with the pack of dogs. A friend of mine has 5 of them and she crate/rotates them all!

I disagree with the above post about the snapping biting chasing and the worms. yes worms will make ANY puppy quiet and drowsy...but what you're implying is that if the dogs did not have worms they would be different.

I HATE breed bias. and sadly the pitties are usually the victims.

well ya gotta be alpha with small ones too.....but to handle a larger dog you must have the true dominant stronger personality. And be the type to walk a bigger dog. I have seen small people dragged by bigger breeds..LOL

those small ankle biters can wreck havoc if you aren't alpha..LOL

You have to be very very careful of these vicious evil Pit Bulls. Just last night ours must have gotten cold or lonely so she climbed up in the bed and moved in. I woke up one time and she was trying to steal my pillow, later she was snoring, after that dreaming (no doubt of mauling the fridge for leftovers). I was worried she could turn on us at any second and we would have to sleep on the dog bed.
smile.png

Luckyaug09.jpg

Some people have "little bundles of joy"
Others have "big bundles of teeth"

Steve in NC

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif
..to Steve..I have avoided posting..I don't do the Pit bashing!!..My DH and I have raised pits and AmBs for 36 yrs..never been bitten or had anyone bitten/attacked..some have been animal agressive..we socialize all our dogs..makes it very hard to let them go but..my father had a chichuaua..sp?..that bit everyone that came around..also had a bad walker hound..sooooo

As long as you respect the breed and their potential and socialize them as much as possible they are good dogs!!

We currently have 4 AmBs and 1 pit..the alpha male AmB has to be watched and worked with daily..tends to be agressive..our female red nose pit is very intimidating to look at but..a big baby!!

Back
Top Bottom