My rescued Nigi...is discharging

BoJo

Songster
14 Years
Feb 17, 2009
Dawsonville, Ga
I bought a nigi nanny this weekend....the lady said she was already breed with a nigi/pygmy mix.

I did not ask how much time...
he.gif

She is very much underweight and has bones showing...I had to rescue her and give her a better home
love.gif

I noticed when I went out to see her awhile ago that there is a creamy greenish discharge.....
hu.gif

What does this mean.....I thought I read before that you have like 5 days after they start discharging??

BoJo

You didn't buy her from someone in Blairsville, did you???

Lets see a pic, if you can. Green doesn't sound right. If she IS preggers and is about 4 months along, you might see a mucos plug, but it should be white, possibly yellow tinged.

If she was JUST bred...she might still be leaking spent semen.

Please take her temperature and let us know what it is if you can.

bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

Helmstead...you are the greatest!!! Thank you for the time you spend helping others!! It does not go unnoticed!
hugs.gif

I took her temp.... it is 102.6 (My first time...I feel educated)
sickbyc.gif

farmlife001.jpg

farmlife009.jpg

farmlife002.jpg

I am soooo sorry for the close up.....
ep.gif

She is now secluded
sad.png
and has all the food, hay and water she could want!!

Thanks sooo much BoJo

Last edited:
Despite the normal temp...I would get this doe on a course of LA200 (daily injections, not every other day..). I know she *might* be preggers but at this point the risk of fetal damage is moot compared to her health.

Be VERY careful of two things:

1) overfeeding grain (that in front of her is a LOT)
2) having her on a tie out

I would not give her more than 2 cups of grain at a time. Also, introduce her to alfalfa pellets gradually until you have her eating them free choice (the alfalfa is what will put the weight on her in short order). BOSS will also help tremendously - you can add up to a cup per feeding gradually. Get her UTD on C/D & T while you have her isolated, and have C/D antitoxin at the ready in case this new diet throws her into entero. ProBios daily!

No problem, I'm here to help. Feel free to call anytime! You weren't kidding about her feet, those are aweful...

If you need any advice on cocci treatment or the LA200 regimine, PM me.

she can probably gain a little more weight but she is a dairy goat and she is bred to have a skinny/slightly boney appearance.
waaayyyy too much grain that will make her bloat and can kill her. try to increase the amount of hay she gets just a little
DO NOT KEEP HER ON A TIE OUTshe can easily be spooked or become pray to a dog or something
other wise just put her on some medications for the fever and check for worms since you rescued her from another farm.
also i would recomend trimming her hooves a little befor it leads to hoove rot, sprained ankles or just in growned hoove

Last edited:
OMG!!!
th.gif

I obviously am one of those people who rushed out and didn't educate myself on the ins and outs of goat ownership...... I am taking a crash course now!!! Thanks!

hit.gif
Okay...I have to have her tied right now...because it will be a few days before I can build another fenced in area...since she can not go in with the other goats right now......I hope it will be okay.... Grain.....is that different from the pellets??? I gave her the pellets and threw in a handful of cracked corn to give her something to concentrate on while I took the temp.

I am writing all of this down and going to take it with me to Brooksher feed tomorrow. You are great....

Lesson learned.....real farms only....not craigslist nobodies!!
th.gif

Thanks BoJo

I will work and update.....
(medicines, hooves, feed, fence....I think I got it!!)

We've ALL been there...don't kick yourself! My gosh she's away from that hell hole, pat yourself on the back!

Grain = pellets

Avoid the corn
smile.png

lol.png
I advertise on Craigslist...tee hee...a lot of good goat farms in GA do...you just have to figure out who's who (and I guess you've figured out it's a kinda small world
tongue.png
)

hugs.gif
You'll get her fixed up!

Back
Top Bottom