my roo WAS sick! found out why!

RedfogsFlock

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2010
Wittmann, AZ
So earlier this week I posted asking if anyone could help with our roo. He was sluggish, and he seemed dazed! At one point I found him just standing in the middle of our 4 acres rocking side to side. Our girls wouldn't let him eat, and he let me just pick him right up!

Well I brought him in fed him, and kept an eye on him. Within a day he was fine, so I put him back out. By the next afternoon same thing!
idunno.gif

So back in with him, and the next morning back out. Then I saw it! As I was leaving for work I saw what was makin him ill, HE HAS BEEN EATING OUR KOI FOOD IN OUR POND!! We now feed after we pen up the chickens, and our roo has been just fine! So I don't know if it's because of the type of food, or the amount of food, but either way he is as good as the day we got him! The girls are back to letting him eat too!

Go figure, would have never thought!

Well we didn''t have koi in the pond yet, just goldfish, and minnows. But we got some cheapy koi food at the dollar store to feed the fish in the pond. We just wanted to make it start a cycle! That way it wouldn't be so stressful on the koi once we put them in. We thought no biggy cheap food, for cheapy fish. Now we have good food for our now new koi's!

See our pond doesn't have any chemicals in it. It's natural well water, and plants, so we want to make sure the pond stays natural because our chickens, ducks, dogs, and cat all drink out of the pond too.

Last edited:
Are you sure it was the food? I would look up each plant that you have in the pond and see if they are toxic to animals. Some plants take a very small amount to be harmful.

Back
Top Bottom