My rooster beats me and today he framed me. :(

MarylandChick

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 23, 2007
A.A. County MD
:eek: My once angelic rooster has several times turned on me. He's the incredible hulk of Jersey Giants. I mean when he attacks with those legs and wings it's incredible. He's never bitten me thank God but he has beaten the crap out of me a few times. His kicks and punches are shockingly strong. It's only happened a few times but now I'm finding I have like a post-traumatic response, when he's around I keep a rake handy for defense just in case. I'm always watching my back. Normally he's rushes to see me and hopes for food for him and his ladies but occasionally out of nowhere BAM he attacks.:eek:

Today he caught me off guard. I had nothing in my hands and was in shorts and flip flops and I was 20 yards form the chickens who were out in the yard. He came after me and chased me around the coop twice, and around the house once while I screamed for my husband who got there just as I had reached a shovel and was poised to strike. I sware as soon as my husband opened the door to see what I was yelling about there was my rooster looking innocent and pecking at grass and there I was with a shovel up in the air. MY ROOSTER FRAMED ME! My husband looked at me like I was from Mars! I told him what happened and DH went to pick up to rooster and I was yelling "be careful, watch out" and then the roo just slowly walked away like he didn't even notice we were there!
lol.png

My roo only attacked my husband once, which may because he's better with the roo then me or because he doesn't tend to them everyday as I do. Either way I look crazy.
roll.png

I read the articles on dealing with agressive roosters but I gotta tell ya' when he's coming at me like a bullet shot out of a gun there is no way I can grab him by any body part. Even if I were wearing full body armor how in the world would I get him? I don't want to grab for the neck because I'll get bitten for sure. I can't just try and push him to the ground to get a good grip on him becaus he kicks and punshes. I also worry I might accidently yank a wing and hurt him. Ugh! What do I do? How EXACTLY do you grab a rooster whose trying to beat you to a pulp? What body part is my safest bet to aim for? Is there a youtube video on this or something? How do you wrestle a rooster full of adrenaline?

(BTW - Stew pot isn't an option. He's too responsible and attentive to my hens to lose.)
hmm.png

Errrr! :mad: My husband is sitting next to me laughing right this minute!

I know I shouldn't laugh but this cracked me up!
hugs.gif

Hopefully he's just going through a phase! Maybe you need a shield~! Maybe a big flat piece of cardboard that's easy and light for you to carry but provides a barrier between the two of you when he gets his ire up! I don't know if Rescue Remedy in his water for a little while would help break this new cycle - it's known for its calming effect.

It's so mysterious sometimes. Has anything at all changed where he might feel he has to be more protective of the ladies?

JJ

I laughed when I read you use a piece of card board
lol.png
I wish I could use that, as it is, I wrap a piece of fencing around me as a barrier and just try to stay up while he is plummiting me! As soon as he hears my husbands voice, he goes back around the coop just like he never did a thing! I think they may be just a tiny bit smarter than we think! We finally let 'Alvin' out of the coop since he would not let us in the coop without attacking and grabbing the eggs out of my hand, now he lives on the outside and tries to open the door by himself! The dumplings are just itching to meet Alvin, it may not be too long now!

I finally gave up on my attack roo.... but one thing that helped was a fishing net. If I had things to do in the pen, I just put the net over him. then just carrying the net worked.

I initially tried all the techniques, carried him around, carried him upside down, whatever, but it didn't work for him. And then he got so bad that I couldn't even give him away for fear that he'd do it to others... so off with his head. ):

ALl I have to say is That is ONE lucky roo that he isn't already in the stew pot! My hubby would have culled him for sure...but we do have a little guy who's three too. If it were just us I think I would just live with it if he takes good care of your hens. WELL the good news...you won't ever have to worry about someone breaking into your home during the day!
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
I could not help but ot laugh when I read that he chased you around the hen house twice!
gig.gif
SORRY!

Sorry, I am laughing too! I have a pretty good picture of you running around with him behind you! I have been in your shoes. When I was about 12 my then pet roo decided he was done being nice. I guess he was about two years old. A huge Barred Rock. Got on my back and held on. I ducked under the electric fence trying to knock him off twice before heading screaming for the house. My dad came out and the roo just let go of me and walked away as if nothing had happened. Too bad for him, my dad saw him through the windows.....

Dad asked what I wanted to do about it, and I said, CHOP OFF HIS HEAD!!

I still remember it well.......

I'm sorry for your rooster problems, Maryland Chicks. My rooster ( a RIR) turned on me once. I had a tantrum!! I threw sticks at him, yelled, and chased him around the coop. I made sure those sticks hit him too. I was furious! :thun He hasn't tried it again.

Also. watch your rooster when you're around the chickens. I've noticed Wilbur trying to 'size me up'. He seems to be deciding if he can 'one up me' or not. When I catch him doing that, I will make myself taller, and spread my arms (wings) to make sure he remembers I'm bigger. I'm also the holder of the hatchet if he forgets these things. You should never have to live in fear of your rooster. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom