My rooster dilemma

buck431397

Songster
10 Years
Aug 29, 2009
Pilesgrove, NJ
Let it first be said that i love roosters. I have one AMAZING rooster who leads my flock, and now, somehow, i have two younguns, and one baby boy.

Of the younger ones, i had planned to keep one of the teenagers, Colonel Sugarlumps, cuz hes just so cute and pretty docile, and i plan to keep the baby, Andy, cuz he is of my first home bred and hatched (his daddy seems to know that hes his son, and is very kind, even though Andy is obnoxious- started crowing at 4 weeks- hes definitely gonna get his butt kicked). I planned to give the other rooster to a friend ( but Im beginning to wonder if shes still interested).

Here's my dilemma: of the younger ones (15 weeks) there are the two cockerals and a pullet. they have their own little clique along with the ducks. Sugarlumps is pretty chill and seems mostly content to hang with the ducks. Molly (the one supposed to leave) is pretty tight with Velvet (the pullet). I feel bad breaking them up. Should i consider this in the flock, or just tell him hes gonna move, and they will get over it?Sugarlumps and Molly get along great now, im wondering if i end up with both of them, if they will start fighting, esp since theres only one girl in their group. ( I do think ill get more in the spring) I have not heard either of them crow yet, so thats good. And the big hens keep them in line. Also, if i do get rid of Molly, when is a good time to do it? I mostly am sending him because he was a little aggressive towards the babies, but other that that has been a fine boy.

And finally, is having four roosters just plain crazy? i know for one thing i will never get unsexed chicks again!

here they are- Sugarlumps is the white one, the speckled one is Molly
40176_riding_016.jpg

They really are cute.

It's hard for me to give you any advice, because I'm not a big fan of roosters. Oh sure, they are beautiful. No doubt about that. But they can be such a pain! And so hard on the hens.

You seem to have a good flock rooster that you are happy with. That makes you pretty lucky. Perhaps your luck will hold, and all of your roosters will be good boys and not cause you or your hens any problems. I hope so.

If not, you'll need to rehome the extras. I suspect that the older ones will start being obnoxious pretty soon. Sixteen weeks is about the limit of my patience with them, for the most part.

Other people feel very differently about that, and keep multiple roosters. Maybe such a person will chime in with good advice for you.

I wish you the best of luck!
smile.png

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Have a little (small sized) very friendly roo with the hens. I also have his brother (hatch mate) in a smaller pen in the coop. I switch them out back and forth every two days so they each can keep friendly with the girls....they will fight with each other.

I also have three EE roos that are 8 wks old. Can't seem to find a home that will keep them....alive. So my DH is building me a smaller coop just for the boys. I hope this works or they will have to go into individual pens...will they be happy? I just tell my DH...."it's better than being someones dinner."

We both like to hear crowing so it will work for us. We also will not let our broody hatch eggs or get unsexed chicks again!!

We're doing a bachelor pad for the 4 or 5 (or 6... lol)
I have one with the hens all day now the other his age was being kept in the coop by the one with the hens so he in turn started picking on the 25 younger birds, so now we take him out during the day and let him back in at dusk for now.
When we get another small coop for the bachelors I'll start rotating the roos a bit and separating them to get some pure breeds next spring.

Back
Top Bottom