my rooster has bumblefoot, i wanna know if it's infected one or non infection bumblefoot, if it's non infection what happends if dont treat it?

Can you get some hay instead of straw? It would be much softer to walk and sleep on.
Alright will do, a question, I heard dirt/hay are cold hench chickens loves it but it is gonna help in winter? Or it's harmful in winter to them? Winter every year gets colder and colder and the last time it was too cold and I don't know how it's gonna be this year.

someone said soak his foot in water for 15 minutes in water then apply medicine, he said soaking the foot in water will help the medicine get through skin much easier,
This is correct. But if you might rather hurt his foot even further by bandaging the wrong way causing tendon and circulatory issues, it would be better to just soak and skip the bandage for good.
so if there no medicine, even then it's gonna get reduce itself right? If I start soaking his foot in Epsom water daily for 15 minutes I should see a difference in a month?
That is what I would expect, if you changed his bedding and added some poultry vitamins etc. to his diet.

Alright will do, a question, I heard dirt/hay are cold hench chickens loves it but it is gonna help in winter? Or it's harmful in winter to them? Winter every year gets colder and colder and the last time it was too cold and I don't know how it's gonna be this year.
The problem with using straw is that although the hollow stems help with isolation from the cold in winter, using straw can also be the cause for parasites in a chicken coop, as poultry mites, lice and fleas love to hide and spawn in the hollow stems.

This is correct. But if you might rather hurt his foot even further by bandaging the wrong way causing tendon and circulatory issues, it would be better to just soak and skip the bandage for good.

That is what I would expect, if you changed his bedding and added some poultry vitamins etc. to his diet.
I will contact you Tommorow again. Thanks you for answering, you been a big help.

You're welcome!
I just touch my rooster bumblefoot, he did react but it was just a normal react like if I touch him in another places of his body, he looks at it, he did the same right now, no panic or panic tone in his voice too, the bumblefoot Is warm tho, what happends if I don't treat the bumblefoot? Will it gonna kill him in couple months? Like in 4/5 months? I don't know how long he had this bumblefoot but it sure is old as he is 2.5 years old and I just noticed it now.

Speaking of parasites, am I the only one that sees the scales on his toes lifted abnormally high and puffy looking? If indeed this is not a trick of the camera, you might consider oiling his feet and legs with sunflower or olive oil, both are easily obtained cooking oils that are known to be effective at smothering mites.
Bumblefoot.png

so my rooster is 2.5 years old, hes pretty healthy and fine however almost a month ago, i noticed the bumblefoot on both of his leg and searched up on google about it and it got me very worried because it said bumblefoot can grow into chickens bones and body and kills them, which made me get on youtube and watch videos about treating it and i didn't like most of it as it was surgical methods and i am not a expert on surgery stuff and uncomfortable with blood, then i watched non-surgical method videos and bought this stuff from local pharmacy call pyodine, polyhax, cicatrin from local pharmacy and some bandages and i put all 3 stuff i bought and just bandaged his leg and after 4 days i did the same i did it again after 4 days, it's been 8 days since i found out about his bumblefoot so i was thinking i should post it on forum and ask as i knew i am not soaking his water for 10/15 minutes and this is a serious matter, i posted it on r/backyardchickens, there i found out that there are different type of bumblefoot and the one that i read on google that said it grow into chickens bones and kill was about staph infection which causes most bumblefoot but might not be the same case for my rooster as chickens with staph infection can act weak in behavior plus staph infection can be deadly, my rooster is 2.5 years old and i asked my father and he said my sister had already told him about the bumblefoot like a year ago and he said he has seen some rooster that are very old like 5 years old with big bumblefoot and said they lived with it and it didn't kill them which i think what happends to non infection bumblefoot, i think that is the same case for my rooster cause i just noticed it just now and it's very old, if it was staph it should have killed him long time ago and hes pretty active right now, he seems pretty healthy and walk fine too, doesn't walk weirdly/funnily. here is the bumblefoot pictures of my rooster!

View attachment 2716473View attachment 2716475View attachment 2716477View attachment 2716488

now you may think that his bumblefoot has a kernel, i saw a picture on google and it said 5 stages of bumblefoot in which 4 and 5 had a kernel (i don't know what stage my rooster bumblefoot is on tho), but this is not kernel, it's poop mark, i never cleaned his foot hence it left a mark there, i pulled out the poop from a leg the foot from first 2 left images and it started bleeding so i put those 3 medicines and now instead of poop mark, the medicine left it's mark (brown mark) there hence i left the poop on the other leg as it is as i don't want to bleed, on the reddit post i also got told to do what i was doing, to do the samething every other day instead of long gaps like 4 days (by every other day i mean 1 day gap) with soaking his foot for 15 minutes in a warm water with epsom salt, i don't have epsom salt so i just did it with warm water, after that i put the 3 medicines i bought and used it on his leg and bandaged it and did that after every 1 day gap, when i did the same thing third time, a day had passed and my family started telling me his standing weirdly which i didn't get because i didn't see anything wrong with his leg, my father said we bandaged his leg wrong which twisted his leg (that what he guess) and said he wants to stop doing treating it every other day like before, so i searched it on google and it seems his left leg is a bit tilted and not straight, now i don't know what my father said is right or this is old and we noticed it just now and blame it on ourselves. here a link of him standing: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/154az8501IYoOTXS5kM8WNLffICTMSSNP?usp=sharing it's a google drive folder!
what could be the cause for his left leg being a bit tilted?

on his right leg, between both of his toes, there a bumblefoot, he got 3 bumblefoot on his right leg, one in bottom and both of his toes
View attachment 2716507

it's seems on his right leg the bumblefoot has grown between his toes.. i have stopped the process of soaking his foot and applying medicine on his leg 6 days ago and i am planning to take him to a vet in a month or two but i wanna know if he have infection or not? if he have infection, how much time i got before it becomes harmful and kills him?? if it's not and is non infection bumblefoot, what happend if i leave it as it is and don't treat it? i am taking leaving his leg as it is into consideration because first i am not from a rich family and because of covid we are bad financially so i don't know how much the vet gonna take, plus if i manage to get enough money to treat his leg, i am from pakistan and pakistan is not a good country, it's filled with scams and top of that i live in a bad city in a bad country which makes it 100x worse, i don't know if vets here are experienced or just people who have no idea and opened a vet shop just to earn money which make me worried, third is i need help of my father/my family and hes very lazy, if i find a trustful vet and get the bacteria out, i gotta apply medicine daily and i can get my sister to help me as we both love our rooster but i am only 17 and i don't know how to bandage properly, i am gonna mess up his leg.. and the last thing is the winter gonna start in august and let's say i got his leg treated by a vet on july, it gonna takes a while to heal and right now it's hot as hell but weather takes a sudden turn in my country, in august suddenly one day it will be very hot then the next day it's start being very cold weather and in cold weather wound hurts like hell and if it doesn't get healed before winter, it can be harmful to his wound, that's why i wanna know if i can leave it behind without treating it but i wanna know the side effect of if i don't treat a non infection bumblefoot, my father has seen 5 years old rooster living with large bumblefoot which gotta be old and the bumblefoot hasn't killed him because it's non infection one otherwise the infection one would have killed him already. that's all i wanted to say, i know this post is kind of confusing but i am hoping i can get answers here as my reddit post didn't get much people attention. and if my english sounds bad you know it why, i am from pakistan and it's not my national language, i learned it from movies/shows to begin with.

It's not Bumblefoot it's happens with mine due to walking on hard floors u can soak it and it will remove like a scaby skin then put some Boroline Ointment and wrap and keep it wrap for a week

Speaking of parasites, am I the only one that sees the scales on his toes lifted abnormally high and puffy looking? If indeed this is not a trick of the camera, you might consider oiling his feet and legs with sunflower or olive oil, both are easily obtained cooking oils that are known to be effective at smothering mites.View attachment 2717614
hmm, do you think the scales are that high because of the bumblefoot? are you saying mites are living in his leg? although i can do that, what if i don't apply olive oil on his leg? what will be the side effects of it?

It's not Bumblefoot it's happens with mine due to walking on hard floors u can soak it and it will remove like a scaby skin then put some Boroline Ointment and wrap and keep it wrap for a week
i think so too, his 2.5 years old and home grown, i give him dirt here and there to play but he sleeps and walks in a plain floor, still tho, can i get more story on like how you know that? have you cut ur rooster bumblefoot and nothing came out? i just don't want something bad to happend to him in the near future, although his 2.5 years old and i just got noticed of it now and so far the bumblefoot hasn't do anything to him, hes pretty active and walk fine, just his left leg a bit titled but he honestly seems healthy but still i am worried.

Back
Top Bottom