My rooster hurt one of his hens...

EurekaSouth

Songster
13 Years
Mar 8, 2007
North Northern California
will he hurt more? He's just being his rooster self, and being too rough with his attentions. I've isolated the injured hen - he bloodied her head and I was afraid the 4 other hens would peck her to death. She's fine, but vulnerable.
Should we just get rid of him if he does this again?
Right now, we have one roo and five hens.

will he hurt more? He's just being his rooster self, and being too rough with his attentions. I've isolated the injured hen - he bloodied her head and I was afraid the 4 other hens would peck her to death. She's fine, but vulnerable.
WOW, tough call on that one:confused:

Is he old enough/is he mating them? My rooster bloodied heads because he had trouble mounting. He used it for balance, the hens were to big for him. Out of curiosity, what breed is your room?

I agree with the others, more information would be helpful:)

A photo of your hen's comb/head injury and tell us how old the rooster and the girls are.
How much coop/run space do you have?

Caging her near the flock is always best.

Now, as for getting rid of him....a lot depends on his age - if he is a youngster (cockerel) his hormones are taking over. If she is a youngster as well (pullet) she may not be submitting, which can further cause injury.
Separating a cockerel from pullets may be a better solution - wait until he is more mature and can control himself better and once the pullets are a bit older, they will be more accepting. SOMETIMES- LOL

I agree with the others, more information would be helpful:)

A photo of your hen's comb/head injury and tell us how old the rooster and the girls are.
How much coop/run space do you have?

Caging her near the flock is always best.

Now, as for getting rid of him....a lot depends on his age - if he is a youngster (cockerel) his hormones are taking over. If she is a youngster as well (pullet) she may not be submitting, which can further cause injury.
Separating a cockerel from pullets may be a better solution - wait until he is more mature and can control himself better and once the pullets are a bit older, they will be more accepting. SOMETIMES- LOL
Our rooster is a Welsummer, about a year old. Our five hens (three Welsummers and two Buff Orpingtons) are 2 years old. So it sounds like hormones, balance, and I should separate HIM from the hens. The hens run around fine together, we'll leave him in the chicken coop, and the hens can run around the acre fenced in compound on our 40 acres, like they all usually do. The can share the chicken house at night. He won't do anything then, will he?
Thanks for the advice, guys, I do appreciate it so much!!!

Hmmm. About a year old. Maybe is IS just hormones. How long till it gets diluted?
Every Rooster is different, my Lavender Orph got pretty rough about December, but by late February he stopped pulling feathers and responds to whether or not the hens submit, if they don't he leaves them alone. My Favorelle is the same age, but he is STILL rough and I've decided to take him away from the main flock permanently to the bachelor flock. :)

Back
Top Bottom