1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My rooster is sick! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whttheflockchkn, Jan 24, 2013.

1. whttheflockchkn

whttheflockchkn New Egg

Jan 24, 2013
    His symptoms have been present for the last 4 days and he is getting worse! I have given him antibiotics and its not helping. I have also separated him form the hens...

His symptoms are...

Shrunken dark red comb and waddles
    Every breath he take he raises his head and gasps
    He is very weak
    Has not crowed for 4 days
    Has a very weak noise when he does "talk"

There are no sores on him, he doesn't feel hot like he has a fever, he is still eating and drinking.

Any advice would be wonderful!!!!!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    That sounds an awful lot like a respiratory infection. I would make sure he's in a nice, warm place with no drafts and start medicating him with tetracycline, if that's not what you're using. You can get packets of it in TSC for about $5. The only other thing I can think of is taking him to the vet, if that's an option. Good luck with him! I hope he pulls through for you.

3. Kirchschickens

Kirchschickens New Egg

Jun 30, 2012
    Thank you so much for the help! I kind ofthought that's what it was. I am giving him the tetracycline and also some bactracillin. He is doing a little better!!!

4. bigbird

bigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Was he also shaking his head frequently, how did you administer his meds and how much did you give him? How is he doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by