My Rooster May Have A Disease...

MrJimenex

Hatching
Oct 8, 2015
Over the past days, since Sunday, I had remembered that I had let my rooster out to graze the grass. It was last sunday, and after I would see my rooster a little sad, but would stand up...

Over the next days, it kept getting worse...

It started weakening, and about 2 days ago, it was in a state where it cannot stand up or would barely move, but wouldn't eat... and probably was near death...

We had given the rooster an antibiotic, and he seemed to get better, and has recently began to eat and drink water, but now wouldn't stand up, and he seems he does not eat correctly, and I fear he may be paralyzed or with a long-term disease.

This happened to my 2 other hens, and we believe that all 3 had eaten rat poop...
After a few days, one was dead, and was bleeding through her nose, but later we saw that she couldn't lay an egg, but died trying. The other hen was twitching and bending randomly, and slowly dying, this was most likely due to her eating rat poop...

The hens didn't have as much resistance than that of the rooster I believe, and died... but my rooster probably ingested rat poop, and the rat ingested poison... I don't have exact information...

The rooster seems to be getting better, but I need to know about what type of infection, disease, or sickness this may be, if this could be a long-term damage, and how to treat it or prevent it from happening once more...

It would be important to know how to fix or prevent it from happening again...

Thanks...

How old are your chickens, and have they been vaccinated for Mareks. What are their exact symptoms besides lethargy.

hi... sorry to see that your roo is sick ..

just a few days ago mine had some type of disease and has gone (died) i think it was newcasstle disease.
but then again,, there is really no way to tell without an actual vet doing tests.

here is an article to understand the common diseases

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044#FOOTNOTE_1

Last edited:
hi... sorry to see that your roo is sick ..

just a few days ago mine had some type of disease and has gone (died) i think it was newcasstle disease.
but then again,, there is really no way to tell without an actual vet doing tests.

here is an article to understand the common diseases

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044#FOOTNOTE_1
very good information, thanks for posting that link.

Back
Top Bottom