My Rooster SAT on My Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mimipeaches, Jan 21, 2019.

1. mimipeaches

mimipeaches Songster

Jan 21, 2019
    Rural IL
    This afternoon I was feeding my chickens when I turned around and saw that my white cochin rooster was sitting on my black Australorp. She hasn't started laying yet so I "kicked" him off. So I was wondering if any of you know why that happened?!

Thanks, Concerned Chicken Mom

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Shadrach likes this.
  2. mimipeaches

mimipeaches Songster

Jan 21, 2019
    Rural IL
    Is this something that roosters normally do? Or is this some sort of mating!! Let me know any ideas you guys have on what this could be!!! Thank you!

Shadrach likes this.
  3. was probably mating behavior. It looks like they are climbing on the others back when they mate..

Brahmachicken240 and mimipeaches like this.
  4. mimipeaches

mimipeaches Songster

Jan 21, 2019
    Rural IL
    Maybe it was weird though because I don't know exactly what happens during mating but they weren't moving but that the same time she didn't seem to mind. That was what I originally thought as well. Thank you for your feedback!!

1cock2hens and Shadrach like this.
  5. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
  6. mimipeaches

mimipeaches Songster

Jan 21, 2019
    Rural IL
    Oh my goodness I am so excited thank you!!! I hope that you are right! That is a lot better than when I originally saw this and thought that he was trying to suffocate her!!! He is a super nice rooster so I was concerned that we were going to have to do something with him!!! Thank you for your help!

Brahmachicken240 and Shadrach like this.
  7. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Unfortunately a lot of nice roosters have been misunderstood and ended up in the freezer.

8. mimipeaches

mimipeaches Songster

Jan 21, 2019
    Rural IL
    I agree and I didn't want to make a hasty decision especially with probably my favorite rooster involved!!!!

Shadrach likes this.
  9. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    I really don't think you ever need to worry about a rooster trying to suffocate a hen. What evolutionary purpose would that serve?

10. Keeperofmunchkins

Keeperofmunchkins Songster

Nov 5, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    I don't know but I have a rooster that tries to kill his own baby chicks. :idunno

Brahmachicken240 and mimipeaches like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: