My rooster sounds like he's sucking on a helium balloon.

guinea fowl galore

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Australia
He is a full grown Australorp. The symptoms started Yesterday morning. Whatever noise he makes whether it's crowing or making that "calling to his ladies" noise, it's Sooooo squeaky. He's breathing out of his mouth and when he breaths in it squeaks too. He seems perfectly fine other than this.
So what do you all think? Does he have something stuck in his throat or does he have a sickness? I had a bit of a look ( I couldn't too much because he would freak out, makin things worse) and I can't see anything blocking up the breathing pipe hole.
I need answers fast because we're killing some today and if he's sick then he'll have to go too.

gee don't rush to judge him. You can't be that hungry - let one rooster live awhile - give people a chance to respond.

Well I'm certainly not going to indanger the rest if my breeder flock just because of a rooster. I've got way too many as it is. If he wasn't one of the two that I am deciding on keeping for breeding then he would be dinner by now anyway.
I'm just trying to figure out what's wrong with him.

Maybe he has allergies?
hu.gif

Sounds like a respiratory infection maybe...if you don't need him or care one way or the other - cull him. That or antibiotics. I wouldn't risk it for the rest of the birds. JMO.

Sometimes if you have a dusty coop they can develop asthma over time making them have that sound, you shouldn't worry too much about it unless it gets worse.

Wow, it surprises me how old threads get dug up.
This happened October last year and I can honestly say I have no clue what happened to him. I have had so many birds come and go since then that I can't remember.
I do however remember calling the vet about it and finding that it was some kind of respiratory illness.
With the quality and rarity of my flock now if I had this happen again drastic measures would be taken to make sure that bird had no chance of spreading the illness to other birds.

Back
Top Bottom