My Sebbi Gosling is not growing(pictures added)Update:She is gone

Quote:
Is it possible they gave you a different breed goose egg? Maybe she's not a Sebbie at all. Chinese geese are a small breed. Of course you'd have noticed a size difference in the eggs . . .

If humans have "little people" varieties, it follows this could happen to animals too. Esp with the breeding programs. Hopefully she'll be healthy and fiesty
smile.png
You could name her Lil Bit
smile.png

She only has Sebbi's so I know that is what s/he is...Maybe she is just going to be a little Girl! Big hope on the "Girl" I call her little fancy pants...If she is truely a she her name will be Fancy.I hatched out a lone white Gosling 9 days before these guys and he is HUGE!! He grew in leaps and bounds,the colored Sebbi is doing the same,I was thinking maybe boys grow faster but I have no idea how to sex them so not sure if that could be the reason for her being so little.

Quote:
I had her in with the other 2 until today,they all seemed to be doing well together but they are so big I was afraid they would trample her so I seperated her from them today but she doesn't seem happy...hopefully my duckies will hatch soon and she can live with them.

I have 2 Sebastopols that hatched with a day of each other. The older one, a Saddleback, was HUGE, compared to the White that hatched the next day. The size difference kept up until they were 2 months old. Now you can't tell that there was ever a size discrepency but for a long time I thought the Saddleback was a giant or else the White was a midget! LOL

It may be the genes from the Colored Sebbie that's making it grow quicker. That's what I determined because later on when another Saddleback and White hatched on the same day, the size discrepency again appeared.

Laurie

I wouldn't worry about it, she should catch up. You might want to make sure to seperate her when you feed them, so you know she is eating as much as she wants. It could be that the little one is a girl, and the other is a boy?
I also wouldn't worry about the others trampling her, I'm sure she'd be fine. I had a day-old african with my 2-3 week old canadas, and the african learned how to get out of the way
gig.gif

I feel terrible keeping them apart but the other two are so big next to her...I will put her back and just keep an eye on them as I have been....
fl.gif
I hope she is a girl!

I just noticed today how much more my Tuffed Buffs have feathered compaired to my Africans. The African have like 2 feathers and the bufs are about 1/3 feathered. I have 2 pair of each hatched the same day. The African have always been much smaller and the females are even smallest of all.

Quote:
I have a toulouse and an african. The african is about a week younger than the toulouse. For the longest time, the toulouse towered over the african, but now (6 weeks I think?) the african is as big as the toulouse, if not bigger
smile.png

THink about it this way- the color was bred into the sebbies by crossing them on different breeds. The breed that the colored baby has in it's background may have a different growth rate. If I were to show you a dewlap gosling versus a sebastopol gosling hatched the same week you would think they were quite far apart in age. Give it time.

Back
Top Bottom