My sick hen just died

TACKMEUP2

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
I did separate her and unfortunatly she had died about a half hour ago. None of the other hens look sick. I will check tractor supply to see if they have the Tylan. Should I inject them all or put it in water. Also, how long after the tylan, will the eggs be ok to eat.
Sorry if I am doing this wrong. Never been on a site like this.

A lot more info would help folks help you. Check, for example, the questions in the 'sticky' in the beginning of the Emergencies section. Info like diet, age, symptoms, how long sick, etc etc etc are absolutely necessary for anyone to have a clue what was going on and how to possibly treat any others.

JJ

i'm really sorry about your hen...
hugs.gif

Really sorry your hen died. Try to stick with your origional thread if it's on the same topic. But it's really OK. You will get help from folks on here anyway. I would not dose your birds if they are not sick. You might want to get the Tylan to have on hand though. You will probably see more get sick. Don't eat eggs for 3 weeks after antibiotics. I hope she is the only one.
fl.gif

Thank you all, especially you chickingrl. I will get the Tylan 50 tomorrow as soon as the store opens. Do you know how much to give.
They are all adult birds. I got most of them, last April, as chicks. I have Easter Eggers, Barred Rock, Buff Orp., Speckled Sussix, a new
pair of bantam Easter Eggers (gift from son in law) and some silkies. Outside running loose are all the boys, all silkies and 1 Buff Orp.
They must be a little frustrated.

hugs.gif
sorry. I know you probably don't want to think about it, but it's never a bad idea to get an autopsy to make sure it's nothing to concern the others in the flock. it will give you piece of mind.

Actually, I am calling my vet over tomorrow. He will be coming to look at a mare that is due to foal any time now. He is the one that got me started. He keeps bringing his extra silkie roosters to my house and letting them go. (They have plenty of room to roam. Along with the 7 horses, 4 mini donkeys, 3 dogs (that only run by them), 1 cat that has a healthy respect for them, and 8 goats. It is a regular zoo around her. (thats only the farm animals.......

The Tylan dose is 0.5 cc injected just under the skin in the back of the neck for 5-7 days. 7 days if still sick. If a bantam size use 0.25 cc. Try to keep the dead hen refrigerated or cold if possible if you want to get a necropsy. your vet should be able to get you in touch with your state veterinarian/USDA for this. It is free in virginia and at least pretty cheap in other states. Your description sounds like laryngotracheitis (ILT). It is a virus. No way to know for sure until you have the hen tested. Sorry you are going through this, but I assure you that you are not alone.
hugs.gif

Ps: Adding the adult birds is probably where this came from. I would not accept them anymore personally. It is part of Biosecurity.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom