My silkie has an eye injury. Not urgent.

Update: We have an open eye!

Attachments

• 20210923_170040.jpg
    20210923_170040.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210923_170051.jpg
    20210923_170051.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 2
I would keep on treating the eyes with saline eye wash and the ointment. No need to treat birds who don’t have symptoms. They can carry a disease and not show symptoms until stressed. Treating them without symptoms doesn’t help. Respiratory diseases (most) last for life, and symptoms can come and go.

The eye has bubbles and yellow drainage, which could be from a possible respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma, or a peck to the eye. I would flush the eye with saline or eye wash twice a day and follow up with Terramycin eye ointment. That can be found in small tubes at feed stores, but ask a clerk for it. Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment can be used if you cannot get Terramycin. Have you added any new birds recently?
I have added 2 orpington bantams over the weekend but both are very healthy. I have plain neosporin to use.

Eye is significantly more swollen today. It was sealed shut with discharge. I flushed it and put more ointment. I'm going to order the Tylosin and try to get it here as quick as possible.

Yes, symptoms of MG do vary from mild to severe and localized to just one place in the respiratory system. Tylosin is very good at knocking down secondary infections associated with MG.
Ok, just wondered. I haven't dealt with anything like this before. And I need to treat the whole flock correct?

Back
Top Bottom