my special duck needs some suggestions...

RhianC

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 4, 2013
Hi all,
Dizzy is our special duck who is blind and, more than likely, brain damaged from delayed hatching. We have always said that if he ever seems like he's not coping, we'll 'do the right thing' but he continues to amaze us every day. He is now 6 months old. He has trouble controlling his neck and sometimes falls over but can get to his food and water. We were putting him in a pond everyday while it was sunny and, despite swimming in circles, he seemed to thoroughly enjoy and was capable of preening. Over the last couple of weeks we've been having a lot of work done outside so have had to keep all poultry/waterfowl in a much smaller area (no pond, not much space, its been awful but had to be done) with just buckets for washing and drinking. I let everyone out today for a stretch as builders aren't here and noticed that Dizzy was dirtier than the other ducks so has obviously not been preening so well in his water bucket. We filled the paddling pool for him and put him in and he was soon joined by the others (who really look out for him, its so lovely) but when he came out he was soaking and cold! His lack of preening over the last week or so seems to have reduced his waterproofing greatly. I rubbed him down with a towel and warmed him but have no ideas how to 'oil him back up' so to speak.. I spose time will tell as to whether he will do it himself but have any of you got any ideas? Was thinking Id give him a warm bath everyday rather than his cold pool, but apart from keeping him relatively clean, I don't know if that will help and I can't do that long term... He's such a happy boy usually, I hope he can be sorted. Suggestions to reestablish preening (or to do it for him) gratefully received.. x

Your idea about the warmer bath sounds really good to me. Also, I might start adding some flax seed meal to his food. For some reason I feel that may help his feather condition. Also, he could be heading toward a molt, and this is just a temporary state of affairs for him. Make sure he is getting enough protein, maybe a little extra for a few weeks (I add a handful of dry cat kibble to feed sometimes).

Swimming is supposed to help preening behavior in ducklings, so it may help Dizzy.

love.gif

Thank you so much, hadn't thought of moult at all.. will add some cat biscuits (should I soften first do u think?) and flax seed tomorrow. I assume this will be ok for all ducks but is it ok for the chickens? I think everyone could do with a pick me up after the last couple of weeks. Thanks Amiga. Xxx

I would crush and moisten it, yes, and then take up what isn't eaten after a few hours to prevent mold or bacterial growth. Not sure about the chickens - I only have ducks.

I have a disabled duck too. We just watch his swimming all the time and take him out so he doesn't get sick. Our boy can't stand or walk.

I have a disabled duck too. We just watch his swimming all the time and take him out so he doesn't get sick. Our boy can't stand or walk.
love.gif
You are so right in watching your disabled duck while swimming, they should never be left alone or they could drown or chill. Bless you for taking such good care.

Back
Top Bottom