My Speckled Sussex hen beat the crap outta my young rooster.......

chicmom

Dances with Chickens
14 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Strasburg Ohio
Hello All---

I have a young rooster, and a barred rock pullet, and they're both younger than the rest of my flock. Anyhow, this rooster was important to me, as he is a GLW rooster I ordered intentionally. Sooo, my SS hen somehow managed to push open a rear door inside my hen house, and got into the smaller room where I keep the two younger chickens. I discovered her in the morning, just flogging the poor, younger rooster.

So, he began limping. And although he seems recovered, he still continues limping after a month. His knee is in tact, but I can only describe it as being "loose and wobbly". He walks on it but he definitely leans on the other leg more to the point that the stronger leg is more muscular, while the weaker leg is noticeably still wobbly and thinner than the other leg.

Anybody have any advice? I really would hate to cull him. He's a very mellow guy for a rooster, and he's really starting to look beautiful. But I know he is not getting better. His recovery is pretty much at a standstill. So I think he'll have this weaker leg forever.

What do you all recommend? Keep him? Or would culling be the right thing to do. He does get around very well with his barred rock girlfriend, but they often just set around together.

Hellooooo? Anybody?
hmm.png

I wouldn't cull him for a weak leg unless I was convinced he was in agony. But that's me; this is a personal choice, let's face it.

You might try a few weeks of vet wrap as a splint, even though the injury is not new. It is possible it would rest an injured joint enough to at least improve it. Like the way people use a knee brace; doesn't cure the problem, but helps. Maybe he would even benefit from some sort of brace for the long term.

Quote:
Is vet wrap something you can buy at the farm store? (Thanks for the advice, by the way. Truthfully, I was hoping to hear something other than cull cull cull....)

Yes. The same thing is sold in drug stores for people. It's colorful tape looking stuff that only sticks to itself.

I'm not sure I've ever advised to cull, even when I might. I figure that's up to the owner.

Thanks ddawn, I plan on buying some of the tape today. I wonder if he will leave it on. I am definitely going to try it!

Back
Top Bottom