My stress is through the roof

No apology needed! We lost our entire first shipment of 24 chicks in mid-February to cold due to blizzards in the Heartland that week. We got a replacement shipment the following week, and the only reason we only lost three out of the second batch was because of the dear Postmistress at the PO 30 miles away, an angel if there ever was one. She called us and told us they had arrived. I said, That's great, but we're in (such-and-such a city). She replied, I know, Dear, but they won't get there until tomorrow and I'm afraid they may not survive that long. Is there any way you can come get them NOW?

It was like she'd built a fire under my fanny. "I'll have someone there in 30 minutes!" I assured her, and hollered for my teenager. Away she went and, well, like I said, we only lost three.

I'm sure your DH will do all he can to care for your chicklets. Put everything in writing. Post notes everywhere. When I make notes for my family, I keep them VERY SIMPLE, and I use BIG FAT SHARPIES. I tape notes to walls. I tape SEVERAL COPIES in conspicuous places. I plan for success!

Best wishes to everyone involved!
Aww I'm sorry for all you had lost. Should I have him look at them before he leaves the post office, (hypothetical if any are DOA)? He just isn't a hands on guy especially with little ones.

Yes, your postal worker knows when the truck drops off packages at your local post office.
What i am telling you is the chicks may be pretty close to you the evening before.
I drive to the warehouse the evening before and pick them up, saving them a full 12 hours in a cold warehouse.
I got you now. It's after 630pm here and I have no clue where they are right now and my post office is closed. They shipped today.

Relax. There is no reason to watch your phone at 1:30 AM. No one is at the post office then. Priority mail shipments don't get to local post offices till about 5 AM. Express mail is later. Do you have the phone number of your post office's sorting room? That's what you need. You could just sit by the back door of your post office about 6AM, knock and ask to pick them up. That's what I used to do when I had chicks shipped.

Relax. There is no reason to watch your phone at 1:30 AM. No one is at the post office then. Priority mail shipments don't get to local post offices till about 5 AM. Express mail is later. Do you have the phone number of your post office's sorting room? That's what you need. You could just sit by the back door of your post office about 6AM, knock and ask to pick them up. That's what I used to do when I had chicks shipped.
I meant 130pm sorry. The guy said they are not due to arrive till 130pm, I'm at work still at that time.

Give the man a small bit of credit. ;) He's obviously not an imbecile, since you trust him to keep your child alive while you're at work. He may not do things exactly the way you do them, but he'll manage. I wouldn't ask the PO to hold them until you get off work. The sooner those babies are home, unpacked and have access to water, the better. Hang in there, it'll be fine. (Coming from someone who has also had to trust DH to take care of chicks for me when I've had to work. He managed just fine, and yours will, too.)

Back
Top Bottom