My stress is through the roof

Pics

Mybackyardpeepers

Free Ranging
Mar 22, 2019
Michigan
Sorry for such a silly post! :frowThanks to you wonderful BYC people I ordered chicks online for the first time. They have shipped today!!!! :celebrate. Now for the stress part, I will be at work when they arrive at the post office. :barnie My husband (who isn't really chick smart) and my 5 year old are supposed to go pick them up. :oops:. I already have the brooder set up and have given him instructions on what to do when he gets home. :fl. I am so close to calling off work, just kidding but it has crossed my mind. :lau. I need prayers that all goes well with my babies, as I have lost chicks from feed stores before and have read to many stories about hatchery deliveries. :confused:. Amen.... :woot

Sugar is OK but brown sugar is nothing more than refined granulated sugar mixed with molasses. If you go to Hawaii, you can see how it is made. They take pure cane sugar, refine it and then add molasses. So it isn't more natural as many people think.
Ok great, I will add the nutri-drench and hydro-hen it is a 3 in one.
be careful with too many vitamins. Too much of a good thing is a bad thing.

No apology needed! We lost our entire first shipment of 24 chicks in mid-February to cold due to blizzards in the Heartland that week. We got a replacement shipment the following week, and the only reason we only lost three out of the second batch was because of the dear Postmistress at the PO 30 miles away, an angel if there ever was one. She called us and told us they had arrived. I said, That's great, but we're in (such-and-such a city). She replied, I know, Dear, but they won't get there until tomorrow and I'm afraid they may not survive that long. Is there any way you can come get them NOW?

It was like she'd built a fire under my fanny. "I'll have someone there in 30 minutes!" I assured her, and hollered for my teenager. Away she went and, well, like I said, we only lost three.

I'm sure your DH will do all he can to care for your chicklets. Put everything in writing. Post notes everywhere. When I make notes for my family, I keep them VERY SIMPLE, and I use BIG FAT SHARPIES. I tape notes to walls. I tape SEVERAL COPIES in conspicuous places. I plan for success!

Best wishes to everyone involved!

No worries, Peeps, you'll all do fine! I just gave mine plain water, too. It flat didn't occur to me to give them anything different, and I didn't think to ask, lol! But I did know they might not figure it out on their own, so ....

Not knowing what else to do, I just picked up each fuzzy little body, aimed its little beak at the water dish like a ballistic missile, and tapped its little beak into the water. Then I sat it on its warbly little feet and grabbed another one; repeat. After I had dunked about 50 birds (I only had 19), I figured I had probably baptized most of em at least once, and most of them by that time were both eating and drinking so I was happy. They all survived and so did I, yay!

Then they all got Pasty Butt and suddenly my survival seemed a lot less assured....

IMG_20190529_141716999_01.jpg

This thread puts me at ease about ordering chicks! I've been going to a local farm that hatches, which is always nice but they don't have ALL the breeds want. Thank you for acting like I would when ordering chicks :gig I'm sure I'd be the same way! I feel bad for the person who's watching my chickens when we go on vacation because I'll be texting every morning and night to ask "How are the chickens?" The person is highly qualified and has even done classes on livestock farming and was in FFA and 4H. I'll still give them a hard time though :confused:

Ok, should I have him at least dip their beak in the nutri-drench syringe, not squeeze it just dip it. I have never done this and heard that's a good boost?
No syringe, I just hold a chick and tip them forward so their beak goes in the water. They will drink on their own after that initial dip usually.

Back
Top Bottom