My sussex chickens dont lay where they nest ???

chickenlegend1

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
Hey i have many chickens on my farm over twenty and my 5 sussex chickens are 2 years old!!
They used to lay in the nest box then out in the fields lately we havent found these eggs!!
For the first month or 2 we would follow them and find massive amounts of eggs the chickens would then continue
to lay in these spots!!!
Now in the last 2 weeks or more we have found none.
I followed the chickens and the other week i found 2 of them goin to different spots
i followed them and i was positive they didnt see me the 2 of them i let them off for 1 hour they had went away and when i came
back the to nests were empty
PLEASE HELP!!!! I HAVE NO EGGS:(

Are they in a coop at night? My chickens started doing this and I only have a backyard to check so not a big deal. I let mine out in the yard during the day but when they started "hiding" their eggs I left them in their coop not letting them out for a few days. I put fake eggs in the nest box to encourage them to lay there. They now lay in their nestbox all of the time.

YES there locked up at night but i never locked them in for three days thanks for that might be usefull info!!!
Thamks again:)

We had girls that did that-- jumped out of the run and disappeared , laying their eggs in 2 different neighbors sheds, and one neighbors barn. I read on here to lock them up for a week, but I only left them locked up for 2 days, and after that they always came back to the coop to lay.

Back
Top Bottom