My Sweet Bambi, R.I.P

WillsMama93

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Shreveport, La
It just gets so much harder to lose one after 13 weeks.. last night, when I went out to clean and refill the waterer, I found my sweet roo Bambi, dead in the bottom of the cage. The girls were all gathered around him, like they were trying to figure out why he wasn't up and playing. When I picked him up, his beautiful little body was still warm. My son had gone and filled the feeders just 15 minutes earlier, and he was fine. No visible wounds, though his neck did feel funny.. not sure if he and Coconut got into a scuffle, the two boys have always gotten along so well, so it would surprise me if they had a fight.
Bambi was the obvious Alpha-roo.. and it was even harder to watch the other chickens seem to mourn for him. Even this morning, Coconut's crow did not seem as loud and strong, and the girls were being so quiet, not much of their usual morning chatter. Everyone seems healthy, eating and drinking well, crops felt ok, I am just at a loss for what happened. And I miss him so much. He was just starting to get his long tail feathers in.. he was sucha beautiful fawn duckwing OEGB.
So now we are a family of 4.. and Coconut, my beautiful white cochin, is left to lead my little flock of girls.
R.I.P my sweet Bambi... You will never be forgotten.

willandchicks020.jpg

04-16-08_2206-1.jpg

04-13-08_2201.jpg

Picture032-1-1.jpg

06-08-08_1852.jpg

My sincere sympathy to you. :aww I know it's so hard to lose such a sweet pet. Espcecially one so young.
My Lovebug died yesterday morning so tonight I will say a prayer for us both.

Oh, I'm so very sorry for your losses, Willsmama and Chickaroo.

You've got some really nice photo memories of your Bambi - that's nice!! He was a beauty!

Thanks, Cynthia. I thought about you last night when I was talking to my son about how I didn't think it would be this hard to lose one.. I told him now I had a first hand understanding of how you felt when you lost Hawkeye.

FisherMOM- They are in a brooder that I made from the cubicle shelving type wire panels. I did think that maybe he was poking his head through one of the square opening and maybe one of the other chickens bumped him the wrong way, or something, and it broke his neck. It would have had to have been very sudden, we never heard him cry out or anything. One minute, he was fine, the next, he was gone.

I will return prayers for you as well, Chickaroo. I am very thankful that I was so obcessive about taking pics of them. I also kept a beautiful feather that he left behind in the brooder.

We are building our coop this weekend. Though they have lots of room in the "chicken condo" we built in my bedroom, I will be glad to get them into their own digs, and give them more outside time everyday that they get now. I just wish he was there to enjoy it.

I am so glad to have you all here, becasue you understand. My boss said, "What? He was just a chicken" I was embarased that her comment made me cry. Some folks just don't get it. Their loss.

Last edited:
hugs.gif
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost one at 8 days old it was so sad. It is not just a chicken he was your friend, baby and companion. Keep your chin up. We are here for You. We care.

Back
Top Bottom