My Truck Wont Start When It Is Raining

A lot of the things you mentioned can be done at home with a few simple tools. Get a manual for your truck, it will help even if you don't do the work yourself. Spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor are usually pretty easy. The PCV valve may be easy, too, depending on where it is on your car. Fuel filters are usually easy for older cars, but be careful that drops of fuel don't drop on something hot and make sure it's on tight! (Probably should have someone else do that). The timing, though, will have to be done by a professional.

I've never heard of anyone using WD 40 on a distributor cap problem.

I had an older car and I used to do all that stuff, saved me hundreds and hundreds of dollars and got the car working absolutely perfect unlike everyone else who worked on it.

Last edited:
something is getting moisture. it starts fine when its dry and sunny out. just when its a rainy and snowy day is when it doesnt like to start. its like its miss fireing while im cranking it over . when i do get it started it and warmed up it starts fine after that. plugs wires dist. is in the plans. thanks.

You can put spray silicone on an around the cap to help keep moisture out. Thats something a lot of ford 4X4 people have to do cause the distributor is right by the fan on them an gets soaked in the least little bit of water....

My Grandpa had an old Scout and we used WD40 all the time. Oh, we got it in water halfway up the doors a few times. The only downside is we had to dry out the air filter.

Well my son is a mechanic, and both of us agree that you just might have a $1.98 problem. He says check those spark plugs, as one is probably cracked. Hope this works for you.
smile.png

I really dont think a cracked plug would cause this problem. That truck should start an run (badly) with up to 4 plugs broken off.

I would think it has to be something stopping the energy off the coil from getting to most of the plugs or getting to them at the wrong time (timing) so something from the distributor or further back up the line.

Back
Top Bottom