My Turkens are bullies....

Se7en

Chirping
Jun 29, 2022
Destrehan, La
May 4th, we bought two Turkens and two Barred Rocks. On May 8th, we bought eight Easter Eggers. They are all hens not any roosters. In the brooder, all was well. We just placed them in the coop on June 30th. They have a large covered run as well. Yesterday we noticed a few Eggers which are the smallest with a missing feather and red skin from being pecked. I sat and watched and learned that the Turkens were doing it. So, I made a paste for the wounds and locked my Turkens in a wire dog cage away from the flock but in the run. They can still see the flock and I took out the bottom of the cage so they can still scratch and they have their own food and water. I was planning to keep them isolated until my girls heal. When it came time to send everyone to the coop we kept them in the dog cage in the coop. When I opened the door to let the chicks out into the run this morning. here come the Turkens. I looked in the cage and there is a Barred Rock and two Eggers upset they can't get out. The door was closed but not locked. Thinking maybe we didn't lock it I put the Turkens in the cage inside the run and watched as they began to push the rod and lift the lever to open the door. I put bread ties on the dog cage and hopefully, this will work. I was thinking I should isolate them in the coop while the girls are in the run but at night I am not sure how to handle it since they all need to go in the coop. I am new to this and not sure what to do.

Last edited:
May 4th, we bought two Turkens and two Barred Rocks. On May 8th, we bought eight Easter Eggers. They are all hens not any roosters. In the brooder, all was well. We just placed them in the coop on June 30th. They have a large covered run as well. Yesterday we noticed a few Eggers which are the smallest with a missing feather and red skin from being pecked. I sat and watched and learned that the Turkens were doing it. So, I made a paste for the wounds and locked my Turkens in a wire dog cage away from the flock but in the run. They can still see the flock and I took out the bottom of the cage so they can still scratch and they have their own food and water. I was planning to keep them isolated until my girls heal. When it came time to send everyone to the coop we kept them in the dog cage in the coop. When I opened the door to let the chicks out into the run this morning. here come the Turkens. I looked in the cage and there is a Barred Rock and two Eggers upset they can't get out. The door was closed but not locked. Thinking maybe we didn't lock it I put the Turkens in the cage inside the run and watched as they began to push the rod and lift the lever to open the door. I put bread ties on the dog cage and hopefully, this will work. I was thinking I should isolate them in the coop while the girls are in the run but at night I am not sure how to handle it since they all need to go in the coop. I am new to this and not sure what to do.
Try pinless peepers. They are "glasses" that you insert into their nostrils and it blocks their view of anything in front of them. Two of my hens have been wearing them for over a year now. They don't seem bothered by them, can still eat and drink, and have stopped picking on their fellow hens. Win win. Here is my one hen wearing them

Attachments

• IMG_20210512_171622585.jpg
    IMG_20210512_171622585.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Try pinless peepers. They are "glasses" that you insert into their nostrils and it blocks their view of anything in front of them. Two of my hens have been wearing them for over a year now. They don't seem bothered by them, can still eat and drink, and have stopped picking on their fellow hens. Win win. Here is my one hen wearing them
I saw those and wondered if it really worked. Thank you for letting me know I may get them. So far, one Turken is out and mingling just fine but the other one needed more time out of the flock. I hope she learns or she will wear those glasses.

Sounds like you need to build another coop for the turkens, you don’t want them to cause any more injuries as they can do some serious damage. I’m not sure that they’ll ever get along, however I’ve not had them so I’m not sure, but usually aggressive birds don’t let up on others that they don’t like.

That’s adorable!

Photos of your set up can help determine if they're acting up due to boredom, lack of space, or some other factor.
I need to get some pics. We have perches, a xylophone, and a mirror so far. I bought treats to hang out just didn't put them out yet. I wasn't sure if they are old enough for them but I will try today. Thank you.

I have turkeys, no bullies thank goodness. I hope this won't cause you to be prejudice against them.
Most chickens bully and peck because of one or more the following:
1.Space issues -They need a minimum of 12" on the roost, 3 to 4 sq foot each of floor space in the coop (not including nest space or feeder space) 10 to 20 square ft each in the run (not including waterers or feeder space)
2. Boredom- cabin fever sets in if they get bored. More roosts, chairs, planters, cabbage, cauliflower balls, etc can help
(Hot weather can make them cranky too. Extra water in pans, that they can stand in is great.)
3. Diet: Chickens peck if they aren't getting enough protein or calcium. Too many treats, even if they are getting nutrients in their feed, are a bad idea. They will eat the treats and forego the nutritious feed.
4. Sometimes a bully is a bully. Rehoming them may reform a bully. Please, give a full disclosure if you rehome a bully.

Sounds like you need to build another coop for the turkens, you don’t want them to cause any more injuries as they can do some serious damage. I’m not sure that they’ll ever get along, however I’ve not had them so I’m not sure, but usually aggressive birds don’t let up on others that they don

Sounds like you need to build another coop for the turkens, you don’t want them to cause any more injuries as they can do some serious damage. I’m not sure that they’ll ever get along, however I’ve not had them so I’m not sure, but usually aggressive birds don’t let up on others that they don’t like.
Building another coop is not an option but so far one Turken is out and being friendly while the other one is still in time out. Hopefully, she will learn. Meanwhile, I mixed honey, lemon essential oil, tea tree oil, and blue food coloring and it has worked on healing the wounds and keeping them from getting pecked anymore.

Back
Top Bottom