My wife got eggs from the store

Quote:
I haven't even read the whole thread, but I can tell you that we haven't purchased eggs since we got our girls. If they haven't layed enough we have pancakes. the whole thing about the way the chickens are treated makes me ill, so I just won't do it. I need to save eggs up to make banana bread one loaf at a time. Kinda reminds me of what my great grand parents probably dealt with.

After hearing about battery cages, I will not eat store bought eggs unless I have to. I can taste the difference in ours vs. store bought.

All the kids at my school think I'm crazy, but I know the eggs I eat are much healthier and fresher, so I don't care what they say.

Oh, I find this funny. My friend Brie REFUSES to eat our eggs because "she knows where they came from". She said that with store bought eggs, you don't know which chicken it came from.
hu.gif
I try telling her that she doesn't know what the chickens are fed, how they are treated, or their living conditions when she buys store-bought. She still doesn't get it.
idunno.gif

Not only have we not bought eggs since the girls started laying, if I am out somewhere and have eggs I can really tell the difference.

Some say we are "egg snobs"; I prefer to think of it as a "refined palate".
wink.png

I ran out of my girl's eggs and had to buy store eggs... I make sure that they are also the organic ones and when I served them up to the family they all asked what I'd done to them to make them not taste like normal....

We can tell the difference.... my girl's eggs are much better....

They think my Ameracuna's blue/green ones are better than the brown Buff Orph.... I think it's because the Ameracua's are like extra large eggs and the Buff Orph's are like medium eggs....

jumpy.gif

When my hens weren't laying well, I had to buy some eggs, I bought regular store eggs for baking, but I couldn't do it for breakfast, so I bought farm eggs from the local farm store.

Store bought eggs have a strong egg taste and smell. When you eat those things, you stink like the eggs. Our sales team once had a breakfast and returned to the office with the clear stench of eggs. Store bought eggs will also leave a bad nasty smell on your breath.

Home flocks lay eggs that don't have that strong taste or stench. Home flock eggs are mild and absolutely delicious. And, they don't stink.

I don't know if the store bought eggs develop that stink because of what the hens are fed, or if it develops during the cleaning process of the eggs. Either way, it's nasty.

I have not bought any eggs since my girls started laying, but other family members did for our taste test.

our girls have not started laying yet (tomorrow is 23 weeks) and my neighbor got rid of all his hens, so i have to eat store bought eggs. i can hardly eat them. i mostly just pick at them. they are so worthless. ugh. i NEED my girls to start laying!

I also hate store bought eggs. Only a couple of my hens are laying, so I have to be careful not to run out because I really don't want to buy them.
I live on the same property as my landlady and she has a coop of chickens which live in filth. She wont let them free range and only feeds them every couple of days. They usually run out between feedings. She also does not clean their coop. And she is always offering me eggs from her hens. I tried them once and they were nasty. I'd much rather eat a store bought egg than one of hers. The poor things. (I do give them feed- I hate seeing them hungry.) Mine are free ranged and spoiled.

My boyfriend is a weird one- wont eat fresh eggs. Even if I have a fridge full of eggs from my girls, he'll go to the store and buy some for himself. Just weird.

Elizabeth

Back
Top Bottom