My wife got eggs from the store

We did the taste test thing too, and found the whites of store bought eggs were rubbery and my son said he thought they tasted salty. Whereas our eggs tasted smooth and wholesome. It can be hard to tell at first, but when you really close your eyes and savor the taste you can start to really notice the differences. Not only that, but our egg stuck like velcro to the non-stick pan and the store bought egg slipped around like it was on a slip-n-slid. Obviously home grown eggs have a texture and quality that store bought eggs do not.

I
love.gif
my hens. Can't wait to get more!!! We have given away nearly 2 dozen now to friends in need, and it is a Really great feeling!!! I think it has also brought my husband and I closer together, as it is something we both enjoy working on. That's a good thing, right?

My boss used to give me a dozen eggs when she had extra (this was before I had chickens) and I didn't like them. They tasted "off" to me, and I only used them to bake.

We got chickens because I have a good market for the eggs, I like them as animals and I always felt terrible about the conditions they are kept in commercially. But I didn't expect to like the eggs.

Our eggs are delicious! I think it has to do with the fact that we feed vegetarian feed. I definitely notice a "musty" taste when we run out, can't get to the feed mill and have to go to TSC and buy standard poultry pellets.

Not that I'm a vegetarian or think my hens should be--but I do notice a taste difference between "vegetarian-fed" hens and those fed feed with animal fats in it.

A.J.'s :

AFter a terrible thing happened in our family I got rid of my chickens. We did have to eat, or we would not have and eggs are relatively easy to fix, for months we ate eggs often and one day I became aware that the eggs just would not work anymore. I could not stand a store bought egg, the smell/taste in my mouth would make me aware that I was eating and since I had to do that, I had to have chickens again.
OH can I ask here???? I have a neighbor who is just nasty. Her chickens live in squallor and filth. She is an old timer woman who grew up back woods and actually thinks the chickens can live on poop and slop and whatever she can find to feed them. truly.. her pen is the nastiest thing Ive ever seen and their "house" is feet deep in concrete like poop.
I will not eat her eggs and I wonder if anyone else thinks as I do that the eggs can not be clean and good to eat.
She sells her eggs about town and the customers do not know that those lovely eggs came from filth.
to me its like buying food from a stranger and not knowing how and where that food was prepared.
Am I the starange one here or has that occured to anyone on this site? that the eggs came from filth...could be infected with something nasty?????? are not clean? or are they clean inside...

Ya know, I've seen folks who had chicken yards/pens like hers and they had the healthiest, happiest birds I've ever seen. I personally have to keep things clean for my birds even though I'm "back woods" as she is. It would be just my luck that my birds would get sick and infect everyone for miles around. I tend to think she is probably adding layers of soil over the droppings in the pen. Layer upon layer, it will add up. It's good the droppings are being covered (and the layers hardened) if the pen isn't being cleaned and sanitized.

But as for your question about her eggs -- the contamination threat would only come from the shell, not the egg -- unless she was throwing some sort of horrific chemistry out there for the birds to eat and the stuff ended up in the birds entire bodily system.

I wouldn't be afraid to eat eggs from her hens as long as they were cleaned.

If the people who buy her eggs don't get sick, it's a strong testimony that the eggs are safe.

But, I'm country raised and back woodsy and I think it's a lot healthier there than in the city where I am now with my birds.​

Back
Top Bottom