My young chicken is very sick... please help :( (eyes, belly)

When you drain the belly and get clear colorless fluid, that is from a chicken having a cystic right oviduct, not ascites (water belly.) Female chickens are born with a right and left oviduct, but the right oviduct normally shrivels and is not functional. If a chicken is exposed to a respiratory virus, infectious bronchitis, that can cause the right oviduct to become full of clear fluid. Infectious bronchitis and mycoplasma are very common diseases in backyard chickens and wild birds. The symptoms don’t always show up or affect them, but they may be exposed.

The foamy eye can be a symptom of mycoplasma (MG.) Sometimes there may be no other symptoms, and it can come and go. Testing is the only way to confirm it. Have you ever seen any of your chickens sneezing frequently in the past? That is the most common symptom of infectious bronchitis, but can also cause congestion.

Infectious bronchitis virus can be the root of many reproductive disorders or kidney problems if the chicken is exposed early in life while developing.

I would try to keep offering her water, some Poultry NutriDrench 2 ml orally and offer foods to tempt her to eat. Water added to a small amount of chicken feed, scrambled egg, tuna, or canned cat food are foods that I would offer in small amounts. Let us know how she is later.
oh I almost forgot. We didn't have chickens that sneezed only sometimes but their sneezing was day long. We once had a chicken with foamy eye but it was really long ago and it went away on it's own.

Back
Top Bottom