My Young Ladies Are Beating Up Our New Orphan!

dalostshaker

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 13, 2008
Wilmington, NC
I'm sure that this topic has been posted a zillion times before, but I need help now and don't have time to search through old threads!
We adopted a 8 week old Orphinton from a person who found out late in the game that she couldn't have chicks in her neighborhood. I brought her home and put her in a small cage next to my big coop. I have 5, usuakky very sweet, Barred Rocks that are 4 months old and they immediately wanted to attack her through the fence. Everything that I read on the forum said that it takes about a week for them to acclimate...so after a week I let her in with the big girls and they have been so mean to her! (I even did the thing of putting her on a roost in the house after the others went to bed.) I've tried putting in fresh lawn clippings and giving them all sorts of fun snacks to play with and nothing takes their mind out of beating the crap out of the baby. She can sometimes sneak in the middle of them when they are feeding and she does get up in the house after they do at night.
One of them is always watching her and waiting to chase her into a corner and peck at her.
It's gotten to the point that when I go into the coop to visit the baby runs under my feet and stays by me. I felt so bad for her yesterday that I brought her in the house to watch a little tv with me and the kids and all she wanted to do was sit in my lap and sleep.
I'm thinking that after a while the attacks will stop but is there anything that I can do to make everyone get along?
I appreciate your help!

Make sure there are two sources of food and water for them, because they will try to starve the stranger.

I would put her in a cage or something protective inside the run or coop for at least another 2 weeks (with her own food and water) but as long as you can.

If there is a big size difference in them then it is more dangerous for the baby.

They can seem to do well for a week sometimes and then start picking on them, so you will just have to watch them closely.
Good Luck!
~Rebecca

Back
Top Bottom