mysterious disease need help asap don't know if she can survive another day.

joelman7

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 10, 2012
help please sick chicken. She is not walking and she can't even stand for longer than 4 seconds. I have checked her legs, and nothing. She is still eating but always seems hungry. She has a hunch in her neck when she stands and always looks unbalanced and her head rocks back and fourth. help asap I don't think she can survive much longer.
hit.gif

Last edited:
If you can post a picture I can confirm but it sounds like wry neck. Do not worry I've had two cases of wry neck last month and both are cured now. It takes around three weeks to cure. My first case couldn't walk and had her head between her legs. My second case coin couldn't walk and had a hunch in her neck.
With treatment and patience it can be cured. My
treatment consisted of giving vitamins E capsules
vitamin B and selenium to help the bird absorb the
vitamin E also polyvisol liquid children's vitamins
with out iron. That's the treatment ..I also used
predinsone. But you don't have use predinsone the
treatment to work.... But please post a picture of your
bird so so we can see if its wry is in fact what she
has? A picture would help a lot! If it is wry neck it can be cured. Please post her picture so we can see.

Last edited:

got it! Here she is standing up she is always unbalanced and the middle one shows how she has a hunch in her neck. There is nothing wrong with her legs.

We fed her scrambled egg straight into her mouth and gave her Hypericum / mineral water solution by syringe. We also gave her water by syringe. Her head was actually twisting all the way round and her beak resting on the ground
There wasn’t much improvement so I also started her on Vitamin’s E and B and Selium , in case it was crook / wry neck. I also gave her fish oil from a capsule, as this is a natural steroid.
By Tuesday we took her off scrambled egg and gave her moistened Chick Crumble, which she ate herself while we held her and supported her neck.
She was back on her feet, could use her wings, her poop was normal and she was very alert.
Until then we had her in a cardboard box in the shed, but she was now getting out and so my husband made her a hutch.
I was feeding her about 5 times a day (5am, 8am, 12pm, 5pm and 7pm), and still giving her Hypericum, Vitamin’s E and B ,Selium, and fish oil

THIS IS WHAT WE DID, HOPE IT HELPS

She does have wry neck. I cured my birds by giving vitamin E vitamin B selenium which is important to help the bird absorb the vitamin E polyvisol liquid children's vitamin without iron. This is the standard treatment for wry neck. I also gave my birds predinsone but that's not necessary for this treatment to work. Please this treatment is the standard of care for wry neck. It will work! It takes about three weeks for the bird to be 100% again. I had two severe cases this last month both are cured now thank God but this treatment really works and its the standard that most follow.I would not deviate from this treatment. Its worked wonders for my birds and I'm certain it will cure your bird too. Have patients when dealing with wry neck. Wry neck its self is not a disease but a symptom usually nutritional but can also be caused by injury or heredity. Usually its a lack of vitamin E. Your case is not severe and she might heal faster than three weeks. But both my birds took around three weeks to be back to 100% and laying again. If you have any questions at all I'm here to help
Please just send me a private message and I'll answer any questions you may have. But this treatment is the standard of care. Please follow it and I'm sure your bird will be back to normal very soon. I wish you the very best. You can look up wry neck and see most use this treatment and are very successful. Any questions and I'm here for you to help. Best of luck

Quote: JackieandChicks: this is a very normal female Isabrown's appearance. I don't know if she is in fact an Isabrown but they are identical. As for the size of crest and wattles, ignore that, it's just typical high production layer genes of that type. They do tend to have high dosages of male hormones, not enough to get a male' feathering as you can see, but enough to grow proper spurs etc. Somehow more male hormones equals more eggs, I often find this in female high production layers of various breeds.

About the chook: it might be wry neck though if her neck isn't spasming then it could just be a general broad indication of illness, since many diseases cause hunching like that. But the refusal to walk suggests possibly wryneck, it might be a good idea to try the treatment suggested because it shouldn't hurt and is identical or very similar to treatments for various things. Vitamin E is a powerful healer.

Can't diagnose more from what little info is offered. (Is her crop emptying normally, what's her poop look like, etc)... Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom