Mysteriously DEAD!

cheep eggs

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 25, 2013
13 of our 19 chicks mysteriously died a few days ago. Some in the coop some out in their run. No signs of illness prior to death. Of the 6 remaining 1 is slightly paralyzed in the legs. Looks perky enough but definitely not trying to avoid us picking it up. It has now survived 2 days post findings. No others even looking slightly ill. Any thoughts. Oh yeah, three went to the lab for necropsy. The preliminary report was no parasites. We have 3 different breeds we are raising for eggs. White leg horn, NH reds, & barred rocks.

13 of our 19 chicks mysteriously died a few days ago. Some in the coop some out in their run. No signs of illness prior to death. Of the 6 remaining 1 is slightly paralyzed in the legs. Looks perky enough but definitely not trying to avoid us picking it up. It has now survived 2 days post findings. No others even looking slightly ill. Any thoughts. Oh yeah, three went to the lab for necropsy. The preliminary report was no parasites. We have 3 different breeds we are raising for eggs. White leg horn, NH reds, & barred rocks.

I had an issue where I found all my chicks dead or dying

I couldn't figure it out

then it hit me

ventilation

the air was stagnant and high in CO2 and they died from suffocation in effect

they where in a barn and doors where closed although oxygen was getting in it wasn't enough

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom