Mystery Bantam.. gender and variety?

FromOregon

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 27, 2011
the Willamette Valley
Back Story: I purchased chicks from the local feed store in mid April. I would have put them at about 3-7 days old based on down and tail feathers sprouting etc. I bought 2 RIR pullets, 2 Barred Rock Pullets, and 2 "Bantams" straight run. Of the "Bantams" 1 was clearly a full sized green legged, bearded EE / Ameraucana same fledge and size as the RIR and Barred Rocks and one was a black gold speckled booted something that stole my heart - again about the same size but a few more feathers sprouting - beginnings of wing tips.

I took a chance on the EE as they had just sold out of Ameraucana pullets and the bins were right next to each other. I thought certainly it was probably one that was put in the wrong bin and I lucked out getting a pullet. The EE is most certainly showing signs of being a roo. We're at 9 weeks now and he/she/it is keeping the others in line, sporting hackles, straight tail and just generally being naughty.

Muffin however is my mystery. A tad smaller than the RIRs, but about the same as the Barred Rocks in size, the most gregarious and docile of the bunch. Very content just to sit and hang. Makes continual conversational pips. Very good at fluffing (my Speckled Sussex were like that as chicks), more curious than the rest.. first to try a worm, watermelon, broccoli etc, but is also the one that will come to my hand and hop on while the others are suspicious of EVERYTHING.

Comb and wattle development are way smaller/slower than others, but I have nothing else to compare it to. Bottom rump is very rounded, but short, though not as fluffy and rounded as a lot of Cochins. Neck feathers/hackles are very petite and almost has a pin head because the rest is so fluffy.

Napping..

Pictured below for perspective, Miss Kay - BR, Persephone - RIR, Muffin - Bantam, and He Who Shall Not Be Named - EE.

Gold Laced Cochin maybe, not much comb for nine weeks so hopefully pullet.

Hooray on pullet!!! Had my fingers crossed. Golden Laced! I love her boots especially. She preens them all the time too. Thanks so much for the quick response and feedback.

Back
Top Bottom