Mystery Chicken who Isn’t Laying at almost 8 Months

She does look like a hatchery-grade Cream legbar. When she lays an egg you'll know for sure!
But I thought cream Legbar always have a fluffy tophat? Like this……?
FFF8B393-28B0-4183-8C00-3268E7535F05.jpeg

Stacy H said this:

Never give up hope. I have read that pullets that haven't layed before winter (short day light hours) they tend to hold off until spring. Of course that doesn't mean some don't lay before then. Good luck

Maybe this can help you?

I got my Cream Legbars from MPC. I had a lot of communication at the time with MPC as the first batch I ordered, one chick died as soon as she arrived. They replaced her and sent me a few others to round out the shipment (at my expense). It turned out half of them were unsexed and turned out to be cockerels. This is how I got my current Cream Legbar rooster.

Anyway, I talked to MPC about their breeding program. In actuality, their breeding program consists of independent Amish chicken breeders, each running their own breeding operation, supposedly at the specifications of MPC, the fertilized eggs are then shipped to Meyer Hatchery in Ohio to incubate and hatch. Meyer sexes them, sorts them, and ships them.

When I got my Cream Legbars, MPC was charging $50 each for pullets. Huge profit motive as they were pretty rare in the US. Maybe still are, I don't know. But, it wouldn't surprise me that one of the independent breeders slipped some eggs into the shipment to Meyer that weren't entirely to specification. The birds should have a crest.

MPC reps are a friendly bunch, so give them a call and have a chat with them about this. I will be interested in what they tell you, perhaps declaring that non-crested Legbars are now a "thing".

But I thought cream Legbar always have a fluffy tophat? Like this……?
View attachment 2929953

Yes, they should. Unfortunately some hatcheries just don't bother with breed specifications. I know of another person who has Cream Legbars from MPC. They look a lot like yours but they do lay blue eggs. They started late and didn't really lay that many eggs.

I know your post is old but she looks like a mix of Easter egger and Legbar. We have a EE that has the gold color feathers.

I bought 5 day-old chicks from My Pet Chicken. They hatched on May 1st. One was supposedly a Cream Legbar but at 32+ weeks she has never laid an egg (I am certain of this as she is my only full-sized hen, my remaining bantams are all laying but their eggs are tiny). She also sort of looks like a Cream Legbar but sort of doesn’t (she has a large comb and no head feather poof). I’m fairly new to chickens so I’m wondering 1. What is she if she’s not a Cream Legbar? 2. Is there such a thing as a Legbar without the head poof of feathers? 3. Will she ever lay eggs if she hasn’t yet and finally, what are my chances she’ll lay blue eggs (if she ever lays eggs, period) if she doesn’t have other standard breed characteristics? I’ve attached a few photos of her. It should be noted I live on the East Coast so temperatures are cold and daylight is short at the moment.

View attachment 2929868
I’m wondering at what age she started laying (assuming she dId). Mine is 34 weeks (8 months next week). She is showing signs - squatting, visiting the nest, but we are still waiting.

Back
Top Bottom