mystery chicks special

greyartist

Songster
10 Years
Jan 22, 2010
NC
I got an "adopt me" special from Myers hatchery. They are leftovers, so all are pure breeds but no clue what breed. I do know one is an easter egger, they had that listed on the order form, I had ordered my mom 15 easter eggers and I guess it was an extra they sent. but I am not sure which one it is. Any guesses on any of the breeds would be appreciated.
#1 is light greyish. #4 is a dark greyish

First bird--what kind of comb? What color is the skin (on the bottom of the feet). Could maybe be a blue Orpington, if that's a breed Meyers carries
Easter egger most likely, with those legs
Gold laced Wyandotte cockerel
4--can't tell. something blue, looks like. Not rounded like a Orp, so Andalusian could be a good start
5--EE? Definitley a cockerel
Speckled Sussex
buff Orp
white Rock
production Red.

first one has grey feet and hard to tell on the comb this young but looks like it will be small, rose comb I guess. the blue guy is really pretty with almost black feet

Meyers has a Lavender Orpington, maybe the first bird since it is very light colored compared to 4. They have several BLUE breeds but none have black feet, do the feet lighten as they age?

You can't necessarily go by leg color. There's a dark pigment that overlays the true skin color on the legs. That first bird has dark legs, but the skin itself is either white or yellow. From what I can see around the toes, I'm thinking white (also looks pink). So, I'm thinking Orpington.

Same for the darker blue bird, what color is the skin on the bottom of the feet?

Meyers has a Lavender Orpington, maybe the first bird since it is very light colored compared to 4. They have several BLUE breeds but none have black feet, do the feet lighten as they age?
I don't think it's a Lav Orp.....pretty sure I see a pea comb, not a single.
smile.png
Plus, when mine was young, he showed an even shade of Lav and looked nothing like that. I'm almost wondering (this might not even be likely) if your baby is a Splash Ameraucana. (the slate legs, slight muffs, and specks of dark blue on the head, after all)

About the other Blue, could we see a comb shot, please?

~Alex

Last edited:
sorry for the delay but I am not getting notifications of replys, :(. Here is the comb of the dark chick. And after looking at pics online I think you are right on the light colored one being an Ameraucana.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom