Naked chicken

Jun 26, 2023
Hello! I have a healthy flock of 30. One Buff hen has increasingly lost her feathers. I've tried supplements, feeds, nothing seems to work. No other hens are missing feathers, but her whole back, tail, wings and neck are basically bare. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

Hello! I have a healthy flock of 30. One Buff hen has increasingly lost her feathers. I've tried supplements, feeds, nothing seems to work. No other hens are missing feathers, but her whole back, tail, wings and neck are basically bare. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?
How old is she, in months?
Post a pic of her?
Do you have male birds?
How big is their coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics could help here.

Bare backs can be from rooster wear and/or picking by other birds.
Some birds just have weak feathers that break easily.
Broken feathers will not regrow until a molt happens.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Chicksnthings2023
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1687863140747.png

Hello!

Thank you everyone. I attached a photo of her beside her sister. I just feel absolutely awful for her. I don't know what else to do. They live at night only in a converted horse stall with 18 brooder boxes and plenty of room. We clean regularly. During the day they have the whole barn and an entire paddock to run around in. We live in Northeast Ohio. She has consistently gotten worse over the past 3 months or so. She's 2 years old. We have one rooster, but he's very tame. I'm out there all the time and barely witness any pecking order attitudes. They've all been raised together since day 1. Tips?

Attachments

• 20230627_081259.jpg
    20230627_081259.jpg
    803.6 KB · Views: 10
How old is she, in months?
Post a pic of her?
Do you have male birds?
How big is their coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics could help here.

Bare backs can be from rooster wear and/or picking by other birds.
Some birds just have weak feathers that break easily.
Broken feathers will not regrow until a molt happens.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Chicksnthings2023
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3557330
Hello!

Thank you everyone. I attached a photo of her beside her sister. I just feel absolutely awful for her. I don't know what else to do. They live at night only in a converted horse stall with 18 brooder boxes and plenty of room. We clean regularly. During the day they have the whole barn and an entire paddock to run around in. We live in Northeast Ohio. She has consistently gotten worse over the past 3 months or so. She's 2 years old. We have one rooster, but he's very tame. I'm out there all the time and barely witness any pecking order attitudes. They've all been raised together since day 1. Tips?

Attachments

• 20230627_081259.jpg
    20230627_081259.jpg
    803.6 KB · Views: 9
Hello!

Did she molt last fall?

Back
Top Bottom