Naked chicks from Buff Orpingtons

I was actually reading about this today in an old school poultry breeding book! They said that the naked gene has the potential in certain lines to create a duly naked chicken. If breeding happens to close together, as in too much inbreeding between too close of relationships (too many brother-sister type combinations), the gene starts to take over and does this. The book recommended either line breeding or clan breeding to prevent this from happening.

However…it would make for some easy processing if that’s what you wanted!

Fascinating. I suggest raising some of these for a generation or two (or more) and watching for health issues before sharing or distributing. Will they have heart problems, weak bones, reproductive or respiratory issues? Will the offspring be physically sound? Who's on here that's good with genetics? The nakedness gene is probably not something that travels alone. What else might be associated with it? Not trying to be a spoilsport, just suggesting a touch of caution before everybody jumps on the bandwagon. Also .... somebody might grab this and market it. Why not the person who has it first?

The naked gene, when bred and crossbred well, is supposedly more immune to diseases and illnesses that chickens normally get. Plus, that gene also helps to create meatier birds, since the protein they eat doesn’t need to go to feather production.

But when that gene gets mutated to create a featherless bird, they say it’s more prone to illness and parasites. And they say it’s hard to breed them because the males lack the necessary wing feathers to successfully mate.

The naked gene, when bred and crossbred well, is supposedly more immune to diseases and illnesses that chickens normally get. Plus, that gene also helps to create meatier birds, since the protein they eat doesn’t need to go to feather production.

But when that gene gets mutated to create a featherless bird, they say it’s more prone to illness and parasites. And they say it’s hard to breed them because the males lack the necessary wing feathers to successfully mate.
Again, fascinating. And can you tell us who "they" are? Cite articles or otherwise give refrences? This is good stuff to know!

Again, fascinating. And can you tell us who "they" are? Cite articles or otherwise give refrences? This is good stuff to know!
Of course :)

With being mostly immune: during field trials from 1900-1930. the American Agricultural Experiment Stations showed that the breed was “highly immune to most diseases of the time.” I’ve found something similar to this statement repeated in many descriptions of Naked Necks and other articles like this one:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33415443/

As for becoming meatier, I’ve read that in many comments and threads around here and took notes/screenshots of them. It seems to be many people’s experience, and also found in this article:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20548063/

And then for the completely featherless problems:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ne...n2307-featherless-chicken-creates-a-flap/amp/

Now I’m wishing I would have saved all of those websites and articles and books!! But I just took pictures, notes, and screenshots, and kept researching!

I'd agree with RAA, caused by a recessive gene, though I couldn't find out info to back it up. If I were you, I wouldn't breed them, but that's just me. You certainly have a novelty there that there would probably be some demand for.
GMO food is tested. The only difference between GMOs and other food is that GMOs have genes added to them to add disease resistance, better nutrition, etc. It is completely safe for consumption and will not cause baldness in chickens or otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom