Naked chicks from Buff Orpingtons

I wonder if you searched if you could find someone else with a different bloodline that got nekid chickens and get those together to save the naked genes and still introduce new blood

If the nakedness is caused by a single gene, then it's easy enough to add new blood.

Cross a naked chicken to two different unrelated chickens, then breed the offspring together to get about 1/4 naked offspring (but now with about 50% new blood.) This can be repeated as often as you need to or want to.

If the nakedness is caused by a combination of multiple genes, then it's a bit harder to add new blood and still keep the naked trait, but a single gene does seem the most likely explanation.

If the nakedness is caused by a single gene, then it's easy enough to add new blood.

Cross a naked chicken to two different unrelated chickens, then breed the offspring together to get about 1/4 naked offspring (but now with about 50% new blood.) This can be repeated as often as you need to or want to.

If the nakedness is caused by a combination of multiple genes, then it's a bit harder to add new blood and still keep the naked trait, but a single gene does seem the most likely explanation.
I barely understand mamalian genetics Chicken genetics just blows my mind. Not that that is a hard thing to accomplish

I barely understand mamalian genetics Chicken genetics just blows my mind. Not that that is a hard thing to accomplish
Mammal and chicken genetics have a lot in common.

Each mammal or bird has chromosomes in pairs, one from the mother and one from the father. Each chromosome has many genes. For each trait, the creature has one gene from the father (maybe naked) and one from the mother (not-naked) For most genes, one is dominant over the other (so the creature might have feathers or fur, but carry the recessive gene for being naked or hairless.) You only see the effect of the recessive gene if the creature gets one copy of the recessive gene from each parent.

That far, mammal and bird genetics work the same. It's just a matter of learning what genes are known for this species.

But sex determination is backward: male mammals are XY, female mammals are XX, so the male determines what sex the offspring is. But male birds are ZZ and female birds are ZW, and the female determines the sex of the offspring.

There are a lot of messed up genetics that I am seeing with chicken now days and various reasons for it.
I doubt there’s any more than there were in the past. Harmful and undesirable mutations pop up all through history and are more common than unharmful mutations. But harmful and undesirable mutations are selected against or simply die out because the birds die before breeding or are unable to breed. That’s why these mutations are almost always “new.”

Each mammal or bird has chromosomes in pairs, one from the mother and one from the father. Each chromosome has many genes. For each trait, the creature has one gene from the father (maybe naked) and one from the mother (not-naked) For most genes, one is dominant over the other (so the creature might have feathers or fur, but carry the recessive gene for being naked or hairless.) You only see the effect of the recessive gene if the creature gets one copy of the recessive gene from each parent.

That far, mammal and bird genetics work the same. It's just a matter of learning what genes are known for this species.

But sex determination is backward: male mammals are XY, female mammals are XX, so the male determines what sex the offspring is. But male birds are ZZ and female birds are ZW, and the female determines the sex of the offspring.
Is that why the chicken is known to be a descendent of the dinosaur? (determined by the girl)

That actually clarifies a few things for me I knew the sexing was backwards and somehow had it in my head the rest didn't go as expected either. Thanks for the clarifying post much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom