Naked chicks from Buff Orpingtons

I'm back to say try My Pony Sunblock. The maker can advise you, but I used it for my blue eyed white mini stallion and little pink horsey butts. It's amazing and lasts on the horses a long time. Made out of natural material can be applied wet or dry. I could even powder their eyes without a reaction so their eyelids didn't get sunburned.

That said, I have to admit this is my favorite thread on this site, and I'm sorry to say I had to look at your little guys photo's again and started laughing. No offense they are hysterically cute! When I read the following quote, I started laughing so hard my hubby came in to see what the heck was going on.

"But when that gene gets mutated to create a featherless bird, they say it’s more prone to illness and parasites. And they say it’s hard to breed them because the males lack the necessary wing feathers to successfully mate."

Most people outside of sub-saharan Africa have Neanderthal DNA.
Actually no. Only 2% of the human population has Neanderthal DNA. Modern man and Neanderthals actually developed from a common ancestor of the two groups and are/were subspecies of each other. Modern man developed separately from the Neanderthal and migrated to Europe later. A few of the two subspecies mated which resulted in the 2%.

Actually no. Only 2% of the human population has Neanderthal DNA. Modern man and Neanderthals actually developed from a common ancestor of the two groups and are/were subspecies of each other. Modern man developed separately from the Neanderthal and migrated to Europe later. A few of the two subspecies mated which resulted in the 2%.
I am aware of the common ancestry of Neanderthals and us. Most people have neanderthal genes. The percentage you listed is likely the amount of Neanderthal genes present in European and Asian populations which range from 1 to 2%.

I am aware of the common ancestry of Neanderthals and us. Most people have neanderthal genes. The percentage you listed is likely the amount of Neanderthal genes present in European and Asian populations which range from 1 to 2%.
I found these articles:
1) ancient-dna-and-neanderthals

2) What does it mean to have Neanderthal or Denisovan DNA?​

Email this page to a friend Facebook Twitter Pinterest Download PDF
Several direct-to-consumer genetic testing companies report how much DNA a person has inherited from prehistoric humans, such as Neanderthals and Denisovans. This information is generally reported as a percentage that suggests how much DNA an individual has inherited from these ancestors. The percentage of Neanderthal DNA in modern humans is zero or close to zero in people from African populations, and is about 1 to 2 percent in people of European or Asian background. The percentage of Denisovan DNA is highest in the Melanesian population (4 to 6 percent), lower in other Southeast Asian and Pacific Islander populations, and very low or undetectable elsewhere in the world.
Neanderthals were very early (archaic) humans who lived in Europe and Western Asia from about 400,000 years ago until they became extinct about 40,000 years ago. Denisovans are another population of early humans who lived in Asia and were distantly related to Neanderthals. (Much less is known about the Denisovans because scientists have uncovered fewer fossils of these ancient people.) The precise way that modern humans, Neanderthals, and Denisovans are related is still under study. However, research has shown that modern humans overlapped with Neanderthal and Denisovan populations for a period, and that they had children together (interbred). As a result, many people living today have a small amount of genetic material from these distant ancestors.
Scientists have sequenced Neanderthal and Denisovan genomes from fossils discovered in Europe and Asia. This genetic information is helping researchers learn more about these early humans. Determining which areas of the genome are shared with archaic humans, and which areas are different, will also help researchers find out what differentiates modern humans from our closest extinct relatives.
In addition to the percentage of Neanderthal or Denisovan DNA, direct to-consumer testing reports may include information about a few genetic variants inherited from these ancestors that influence specific traits. Some studies have suggested that certain genetic variations inherited from archaic humans may play roles in hair texture, height, sensitivity of the sense of smell, immune responses, adaptations to high altitude, and other characteristics in modern humans. These variations may also influence the risk of developing certain diseases. However, other studies have not found the same associations. The significance of Neanderthal or Denisovan genetic variants on disease risk is still an area of active study, and most direct-to-consumer test results currently do not include them.
While knowing how much DNA a person has in common with his or her Neanderthal or Denisovan ancestors may be interesting, these data do not provide practical information about a person’s current health or chances of developing particular diseases. Having more or less DNA in common with archaic humans says nothing about how “evolved” a person is, nor does it give any indication of strength or intelligence. For now, knowing which specific genetic variants a person inherited from Neanderthal or Denisovan ancestors provides only limited information about a few physical traits.

Scientific journal articles for further reading​

Meyer M, Kircher M, Gansauge MT, Li H, Racimo F, Mallick S, Schraiber JG, Jay F, Prüfer K, de Filippo C, Sudmant PH, Alkan C, Fu Q, Do R, Rohland N, Tandon A, Siebauer M, Green RE, Bryc K, Briggs AW, Stenzel U, Dabney J, Shendure J, Kitzman J, Hammer MF, Shunkov MV, Derevianko AP, Patterson N, Andrés AM, Eichler EE, Slatkin M, Reich D, Kelso J, Pääbo S. A high-coverage genome sequence from an archaic Denisovan individual. Science. 2012 Oct 12;338(6104):222-6. doi: 10.1126/science.1224344. Epub 2012 Aug 30. PubMed: 22936568; Free full-text article from PubMed Central: PMC3617501.
Pääbo S. The diverse origins of the human gene pool. Nat Rev Genet. 2015 Jun;16(6):313-4. doi: 10.1038/nrg3954. PubMed: 25982166.
Sankararaman S, Mallick S, Dannemann M, Prüfer K, Kelso J, Pääbo S, Patterson N, Reich D. The genomic landscape of Neanderthal ancestry in present-day humans. Nature. 2014 Mar 20;507(7492):354-7. doi: 10.1038/nature12961. Epub 2014 Jan 29. PubMed: 24476815. Free full-text article from PubMed Central: PMC4072735.
Skov L, Coll Macià M, Sveinbjörnsson G, Mafessoni F, Lucotte EA, Einarsdóttir MS, Jonsson H, Halldorsson B, Gudbjartsson DF, Helgason A, Schierup MH, Stefansson K. The nature of Neanderthal introgression revealed by 27,566 Icelandic genomes. Nature. 2020 Jun;582(7810):78-83. doi: 10.1038/s41586-020-2225-9. Epub 2020 Apr 22. PubMed: 32494067.

Last edited:
Several direct-to-consumer genetic testing companies report how much DNA a person has inherited from prehistoric humans, such as Neanderthals and Denisovans. This information is generally reported as a percentage that suggests how much DNA an individual has inherited from these ancestors. The percentage of Neanderthal DNA in modern humans is zero or close to zero in people from African populations, and is about 1 to 2 percent in people of European or Asian background. The percentage of Denisovan DNA is highest in the Melanesian population (4 to 6 percent), lower in other Southeast Asian and Pacific Islander populations, and very low or undetectable elsewhere in the world.
" Zero or close to zero in people from African populations, and is about 1 to 2 percent in people of European or Asian background. " Not the percentage of people who have the genes, but how much of the genes people of these populations have.

Last edited:
Not that I have read. The thread clearly states that 1-2% of human population have these genes, not the number of genes the population has.

It is theorized this is because only a few interbreedings of the two "species" took place. I know they have found one ancient skeleton of a female with characteristics of both species; it is speculated she had parents or grandparents of each species.

Not that I have read. The thread clearly states that 1-2% of human population have these genes, not the number of genes the population has.

It is theorized this is because only a few interbreedings of the two "species" took place. I know they have found one ancient skeleton of a female with characteristics of both species; it is speculated she had parents or grandparents of each species.
I can understand what you are stating. I can see that we both have opposing viewpoints on this subject, and we are both unlikely to change our views about this matter. Your view on this is very interesting however, and I would like to better understand your viewpoint. We should probably stop discussing this however, because it seems we have taken this thread off-topic.

I'm very worried about trying to breed them. Their skin is delicate, (and quite warm!) If a rooster mounts the hen, even with an apron on, he will injure her. If the naked rooster is able to mount a hen, he may also be injured. I think, realistically, that hens will reject him with hard pecks, which will cause bleeding, more attacks, infections, etc. Unless artificial insemination could be used, mating is too dangerous.

I remember a news article I read years ago, about a university developing a breed of naked chickens. They did it for ease of processing, hoping to entice those who raise chickens for consumption. But there were problems, (I don't remember why) and the project was scrapped. I'm beginning to see those problems now! But all the genetics discussed are fascinating! Thank you for all the entries!
Were you able to breed your Naked Orps? If so how are their descendants?

Back
Top Bottom