Naked neck chicks with no naked neck?

Chicks 4-6 have no naked neck so are u saying they are mutts?
Well I definitely am not seeing the naked neck. Not sure what they are but there could be a throw back in the genes of the hen or rooster. Meaning somewhere in the parent's background there was an breed thrown in there somewhere. If they are from the same as the others that most likely is what happened. Mine always has the naked neck and they are so cute. Good Luck anyways and enjoy your chick's.

Last edited:
Well I definitely am not seeing the naked neck. Not sure what the others are or it could be a throw back in the genes of the hen and rooster. If they are from the same as the others that most likely is what happened
Well from others I have now talked too there is a chance of non naked naked necks because they did not get the gene from the parents or at lest not enough of it but could be carriers of the gene so if thats right I don't know. but one of the naked necks and one of the non naked necks have a golden brown colour to them really quite pretty. I'll see bout posting a pick of the 2.

Yeah show me some pictures Whatever happened they are yours to love and enjoy. I have had 1or 2 I didn't quite understand how they ended up like they did but I enjoyed them just as much
Here is chick 1 and 2

Attachments

• IMG_20180414_133149.jpg
    IMG_20180414_133149.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20180414_133133.jpg
    IMG_20180414_133133.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20180414_133054.jpg
    IMG_20180414_133054.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20180414_133050.jpg
    IMG_20180414_133050.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20180414_133048.jpg
    IMG_20180414_133048.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 8
BS7YQfDh_T-

Here was our Turken / Naked Neck when she was very young (above) and also at around 2-3 months old (below/middle) and at 6-8 months old (very bottom).
BWRaG35BwPu

She definitely got more "naked" as she grew up!
Ba7rG6dBI9b

NN is a breed but also a gene.
Most NN are not bred to the breed standard.
Its pretty common to call any chicken that has the naked neck NNs so its not really a purebred vs mutt thing.
Its a gene that can be bred into any breed. If they have the gene it shows. No chickens carry the gene and not show it. Yes one copy gives the bow tie NN and two copies give the completely naked neck.
If a breeder is breeding only NNs with two copies then all the offspring will have naked necks.
Many breeders breed birds with two copies or one copy to each other or even to non NN.
It is not uncommon to get a mix of NN and non NN from hatching eggs. Especially less experienced breeders that don't quite understand the genetics of the gene.
By not have naked necks those chicks are eliminated from being NN.
You can still breed them to NN and produce some NN it will just be up to the other bird that is NN to donate the gene to them. If one parent is a bow tie NN it will produce about 50% bow tie NN chicks.
If it has two genes and is completely naked neck it will produce 100% bow tie NN offspring.
It takes two NN parents to ever produce a completely naked neck offspring.

NN is a breed but also a gene.
Most NN are not bred to the breed standard.
Its pretty common to call any chicken that has the naked neck NNs so its not really a purebred vs mutt thing.
Its a gene that can be bred into any breed. If they have the gene it shows. No chickens carry the gene and not show it. Yes one copy gives the bow tie NN and two copies give the completely naked neck.
If a breeder is breeding only NNs with two copies then all the offspring will have naked necks.
Many breeders breed birds with two copies or one copy to each other or even to non NN.
It is not uncommon to get a mix of NN and non NN from hatching eggs. Especially less experienced breeders that don't quite understand the genetics of the gene.
By not have naked necks those chicks are eliminated from being NN.
You can still breed them to NN and produce some NN it will just be up to the other bird that is NN to donate the gene to them. If one parent is a bow tie NN it will produce about 50% bow tie NN chicks.
If it has two genes and is completely naked neck it will produce 100% bow tie NN offspring.
It takes two NN parents to ever produce a completely naked neck offspring.
:goodpost:
I agree with Moonshiner.
Everything I’ve researched lines up with that.
I have 6 NN chicks I got from Tractor Supply and they’re all bow ties.
I purposely picked 6 that look different from each other.
Your chicks are beautiful!
I hope they do well and you enjoy them!
Yay for NNs :ya

I had 2 NN hens once and saved eggs to incubate. Since I had NN eggs I gave my hens away. When the eggs hatched I didn't have NN babies (because the dad was regular) and was bummed. But, I bought more NN babies later.

Back
Top Bottom